NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Modifying a Canon 450D for Astro

Looking to modify it, but not sure what UV/IR cut filter should I get, there are people saying you can just get one on eBay for like 10 USD, what has been your experience? If you modded it which one did you get?

Hi alacant and ddm

Sorry for jumping on board here as I'm looking to maybe astro mod my 600D or 450d. Excuse me asking a silly question but what it the hot filter and if this was just removed and not the ir filter could it take good red nebulosity images or best to get a full spec mid and purchase the relevant clip in filters after 

Kind regards 

Lee 

I opted to fit a Badder BCF filter - as detailed here  

If you are careful, take your time and have a steady hand the process is quite straightforward.  This is how it effects the images - The raw unprocessed image on the left, and then simple "auto levels" in Photshop to correct. 
1296969900_moonfiltered.png.fdd547c7c5ea8fcfc3b9c9c34c2c00b3.png

Naturally for DSO's you leave the red in :)

flame.png.e30039716216542fcbd42c26918c2cb0.png

And then processed slightly to remove the grain and make it more appealing to my eyes

289632434_PortraitofAlnitak.png.4375fbfedfb7d2d499188fbecc746e8e.png

Edited by malc-c
added image

5 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi

Unless you want full spectrum, easier perhaps to remove only the hot mirror,  leaving the ir filter in place. 

Cheers and HTH

Hmm, so I don't need to buy anything at all? 

In the 400D (and possibly the 450D) there are two IR filters

post-10661-14073945644405.jpg

If you remove both and leave the sensor open then you will have a "full spectrum" camera.   The drawback is that the sensor has no protection against dust etc, which is why some will fit clear glass as a form of protection.  It also means that all wavelengths are passes, including those from street lights and other sources you don't want

Most guides such as this one - give you some idea of what's involved in fitting the Badder filter

I owned a 450D that someone else modded. Aside from dust (which wasn't an issue for me) I got on fine by adding 2" UV/IR cut filter to the optical train with a full spectrum mod.

A basic filter may only set you back £30, so that's an option to consider if the parts are expensive or hard to fit.