Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera Shake!

Hi All, You've probably heard all this before but as I'm fairly new to imaging and realizing it's not cheap, the other night I was imaging M42 using my Star Adventurer, WO Megrez 72, Canon 700d modded and Astro Essentials finder scope plus dew straps etc, on a Velbon  tripod. The main aim was to get good focus using a Bahtinovv Mask and only took a few images with the moon rising! However, when looking at the pics I noticed camera judder. The focus looked good but am  now wondering if the issue is the mount and or tripod. The exposures where 30, 60 and 120 secs. Also, I am pitching on decorative slate, don't know if it slips around! I am wondering about getting a HEQ5 go to Mount for the autumn for stability and making sure I pitch on the lawn. What do members think? Any comments welcome.

Cheers, John

Could you post an example of your subs? Members would then have a better idea as to what might be causing the problem.

If you're not walking around on the slate whilst your shutter is open, then it should be fine. It could be vibrations from the cameras mirror flipping up.

• Like 1

502484198_IMG_8411-1.jpg.2a8f2269f478d9ce1d08638a79e765db.jpg

Hi John

You can see that 60 sec exposures have noticeable drift.

So if all your 60s are like this you need to experiment with faster exposures.

Camera shake, mirror shake,  or shutter shake only show on sub-one second exposures, on long exposures of dim object they doesn't register.

Michael