Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice for portable scope

Hi, I’m new to this group and I’m just looking for some advice really.

I have a Helios 120 on an EQ mount, red spot finder, 2x Barlow, erecting eyepiece etc, which I’ve had for many years from new. I’ve added a drive for tracking and a powered focus attachment.

It serves my need well, I prefer planet spotting and the moon mainly from my garden in the middle of a housing estate.

But I was thinking of getting something much more portable, I could carry to better sites or put in the car maybe with my Manfrotto tripod. Maybe even one of these tabletop scopes would work if I could have the option of using it with my tripod if there isn’t a platform available?

I want something that would be equal or better preferably than my current set up. But I’m a bit out of touch these days and I’m looking for some advice really.

I could possibly sell what I have and start again, or if the budget isn’t to high maybe get something in addition. I’m looking to spend  4 to £500 ideally. It’s a minefield out there, so any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Hi, I would focus on what you actually want to use the portable set up for? Will you continue on the planetary focus or look at dso for example? 

If you're sticking to planetary, then a decent maksutov cassegrain design either 100/102/127 mm aperture would be a simple solution if stock comes available! 

If you want to stick with a reflector, how about a Skywatcher 150 Heritage dob for the OTA and use a Skywatcher AZ5 mount, on your Manfrotto tripod?

The OTA is about 3.5kg without the base (£250)

The AZ5 is 2.3kg (£170)

So that's 6kg total (for £420)

Which Manfrotto tripod do you have? The 055 will take 9kg, and you won't be extending more than 1 section of the legs and not using the central column, so it will be very stable.

• Like 1

How portable to you want to go? I would say a 120mm refractor is pretty portable as it will go on the back seat or boot of a car quite easily. I'm not sure a Mak or Dobsonian is going to be much more portable. However, I would go along with the Mak suggestion if you plan to stay on the moon / planets. For £500 you could even get one on a goto mount (stock permitting).

1 hour ago, Ippy1 said:

Hi, I’m new to this group and I’m just looking for some advice really.

I have a Helios 120 on an EQ mount, red spot finder, 2x Barlow, erecting eyepiece etc, which I’ve had for many years from new. I’ve added a drive for tracking and a powered focus attachment.

It serves my need well, I prefer planet spotting and the moon mainly from my garden in the middle of a housing estate.

But I was thinking of getting something much more portable, I could carry to better sites or put in the car maybe with my Manfrotto tripod. Maybe even one of these tabletop scopes would work if I could have the option of using it with my tripod if there isn’t a platform available?

I want something that would be equal or better preferably than my current set up. But I’m a bit out of touch these days and I’m looking for some advice really.

I could possibly sell what I have and start again, or if the budget isn’t to high maybe get something in addition. I’m looking to spend  4 to £500 ideally. It’s a minefield out there, so any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Welcome, Loughboro' dweller ! I'm just down the road  ...

If you specifically want a long focal length 'scope for planets and lunar work, a 102 or 127 mak would be a good compact choice , I use a 127 mak on an az5 head and a decades old manfrotto 55 tripod, and find the combination works really well . Personally I'd not want to try and use the 'scope at high magnification on planets without it being on a mount with slo mo controls (or, I suppose tracking, but I have no experience of that !) The 127 mak has a focal length of 1500mm , the 102 is a bit smaller, a bit lighter , and has a slightly shorter focal  length of 1300mm .

I don't think the difference in aperture between the two maks  would be a worry for the bright objects you are considering as your main targets, and the 102, being lighter, could be used on a less expensive mount , for instance it is bundled with the az pronto mount and a tripod for  £260 https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/sky-watcher-skymax-102s-az-pronto.html

or with an az gti mount if you fancy that, for £450 https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/sky-watcher-skymax-102-az-gti.html

On the other hand, the larger 127 on an az5 with tripod is a bit over your budget at£520 https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/sky-watcher-skymax-102-az-gti.html

but if you can use your own tripod, a 127 OTA is £330 and an az5 £170, which just squeaks in at £500. However, be aware that the dovetail is in a different place on the 127 mak tube if you buy the OTA on its own compared with the package version, and that may make it awkward to use . Probably better to buy the whole kit for the sake of £20.

There are some good comparisons of the 102 and 127 maks here http://www.waloszek.de/astro_sw_mak102_e.php

and several relevant videos by this guy 

23 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Welcome, Loughboro' dweller ! I'm just down the road  ...

If you specifically want a long focal length 'scope for planets and lunar work, a 102 or 127 mak would be a good compact choice , I use a 127 mak on an az5 head and a decades old manfrotto 55 tripod, and find the combination works really well . Personally I'd not want to try and use the 'scope at high magnification on planets without it being on a mount with slo mo controls (or, I suppose tracking, but I have no experience of that !) The 127 mak has a focal length of 1500mm , the 102 is a bit smaller, a bit lighter , and has a slightly shorter focal  length of 1300mm .

I don't think the difference in aperture between the two maks  would be a worry for the bright objects you are considering as your main targets, and the 102, being lighter, could be used on a less expensive mount , for instance it is bundled with the az pronto mount and a tripod for  £260 https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/sky-watcher-skymax-102s-az-pronto.html

or with an az gti mount if you fancy that, for £450 https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/sky-watcher-skymax-102-az-gti.html

On the other hand, the larger 127 on an az5 with tripod is a bit over your budget at£520 https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/sky-watcher-skymax-102-az-gti.html

but if you can use your own tripod, a 127 OTA is £330 and an az5 £170, which just squeaks in at £500. However, be aware that the dovetail is in a different place on the 127 mak tube if you buy the OTA on its own compared with the package version, and that may make it awkward to use . Probably better to buy the whole kit for the sake of £20.

There are some good comparisons of the 102 and 127 maks here http://www.waloszek.de/astro_sw_mak102_e.php

and several relevant videos by this guy 

heather, are you sure thats a bloke, looks like a bird 😁

You can’t beat at Skywatcher ST80 for portability and it will go on a camera tripod. Mines been all over the world with me in my hand luggage (with a mini camera tripod) and the best view I’ve ever had of Saturn was off a balcony in Morocco! 😊

and I think complete with the travel bag and eq1 they retail around £110 - bargain!

Edited by Dazzyt66
  • Like 1