Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount Load - different question

iapa

Imaging: taking multiple photographs of the same area of the sky for future processing.

Often we discuss the MAXIMUM mount load for imaging.

Generally those more knowledgable people who image recommend 60%-75% of that payload figure.

Accepted that very accurate balancing can allow greater weight to be added.

I was wondering if there was a view to the MINIMUM workable payload.

A Celestron Advanced VX (AVX) has an upper payload of c30lb.

In my current position with a Celestron C8 SCT, guide scope cameras etc. the total load is around 59%

However, if I use a proposed 80mm refractor, with guidesope, cameras etc. it comes in at 35% of maximum payload.

Does anyone have a view as to what minimum percentage of maximum payload is workable?

Edited by iapa
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, iapa said:

Imaging: taking multiple photographs of the same area of the sky for future processing.

Generally those more knowledgable people who image recommend 60%-75% of that payload figure.

In my current position with a Celestron C8 SCT, guide scope cameras etc. the total load is around 59%

However, if I use a proposed 80mm refractor, with guidesope, cameras etc. it comes in at 35% of maximum payload.

Does anyone have a view as to what minimum percentage of maximum payload is workable?

I use my AVX with either an 8" EdgeHD and an 80ed. The mount is happy with either. I've never seen any reference to a minimum payload being an issue, and if you look around the forum you will seem images of people with an EQ6 and 60/70mm refrractors for widefield imaging.

Hi,

I own an AVX and have successfully used it with a Skymax 127 (7 lb). That would put it down to about 23% of the maximum payload. I remember I did not slide in the counterweight all the way towards the mount, so one could possible go lower. However balancing the mount was already a bit tricky with the 7 lb payload.

On 17/03/2021 at 17:48, iapa said:

The avx works really well with a 80mm frac plus imaging gear

I mount an ED80 on and EQ6 pro, but I am unsure how much everything weighs/load capacity

But I also use counterweights that are much lighter than the stock standard EQ6 weights from previous mounts

So I am not sure that there is a lower limit assuming you can balance your scope

I’ve worked out what the bits weigh: guiding gear, camera, focus motor etc.

Total weight (on paper) is 9.5lb - to be measured at some point

That is 13% of the payload of one of my mounts.

I have a feeling that just the counterweight arm without weights could balance this 😁.

Hence my initial question.

10 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

On the one occasion I put just a DSLR on my Mesu I had to remove the counterweights and the counterweight shaft and knock up a temporary lightweight shaft. The DSLR was about 1% of the mounts capacity but it tracked perfectly.

Now, this is what I’m looking for :)

I’d expect that over time people have found that low loading needs alternative / out of the box thinking.

Thinking about it, I did try my Startravel ST80 on the AVX and now way could I get it to balance.

PS assume you will be cleaning/tuning/tweaking all the kit  over yhe next 6 months until autumn sets in?

Hope to see updates on that work.

Take care

Edited by iapa

23 minutes ago, iapa said:

PS assume you will be cleaning/tuning/tweaking all the kit  over yhe next 6 months until autumn sets in?

Hope to see updates on that work.

Take care

Yep - it gets put into a coma in a temperature controlled and dehumidified life support container (spare bedroom!) where it can enviously watch me playing with my summer toys - 1963 MG Midget and RC aeroplanes etc!!