SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Beginner advice for watching with a 5yr old

Thanks to some help on here before Xmas I got my daughter a Celestron Travel Scope 70 

We've had it out a few times looking at the moon but I'm really struggling to get things set up which inevitably leads to getting off on the wrong foot

I have the spotting scope set up and I can usually get it directed at the moon, but it's usually in such an awkward position that it takes me so long and it's actually painful to get into the right place - is this par for the course? Should I be doing things differently

And then the lenses, frankly I don't have a clue! There are different magnifications but the moment I try and change the scope or moon inevitably moves, but even if it doesn't seem to I don't seem to be able to get anything out of any of them but the one that is lowest magnification. 

Is this normal? Are the others just too powerful for the moon?

And what about the Barlow - that seems to multiply magnification but again I can't find anything with anything but one of the lenses!

Can someone ELI5 what I'm doing wrong or how I get these lenses dialled in?

Thanks

Re the finder scope if you can then invest in a 90 degree finder that will solve the problem of the awkward viewing position.

Use a distant tree or roof Ariel during daylight to align the finder scope to the main scope.

Only use the barlow and high power eyepieces when you become familiar with using the scope

10 hours ago, Tomatobro said:

Re the finder scope if you can then invest in a 90 degree finder that will solve the problem of the awkward viewing position.

Use a distant tree or roof Ariel during daylight to align the finder scope to the main scope.

Only use the barlow and high power eyepieces when you become familiar with using the scope

Thanks. The finder is awkward but so is using the main scope. I'm like doubled over and crouched at the same time trying to get the high angle to the moon...

Hi @VaderAG and a late welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Another item that may make life a little easier maybe a 90deg. star diagonal rather than the 45deg. diagonal that is supplied with it. 

Bear in mind that this is purely a travel 'scope or spotting 'scope and we all started this wonderful hobby at some point with a small telescope or one with inferior optics at some point.

Wishing you and your daughter many years of clear skies too.

• Thanks 1

I recommend becoming proficient using the scope on your own before bringing your daughter outside.  On the other hand, kids learn quickly, and she may take to using the scope quicker and easier than you.

It's a beginner scope which means it has crude movements, basic eyepieces, and a compromised viewing position due to the included 45 degree diagonal.  It's actually easier to get started with an advanced scope and eyepieces in my experience because the equipment gets out of the way, and you can concentrate on learning the sky and honing your observing skills.  Imagine if you had to learn to drive on a Ford Model T as compared to a modern vehicle.  You'd have to be constantly aware of the older vehicle's crude mechanicals instead of concentrating on the road.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, VaderAG said:

Thanks to some help on here before Xmas I got my daughter a Celestron Travel Scope 70 

We've had it out a few times looking at the moon but I'm really struggling to get things set up which inevitably leads to getting off on the wrong foot

I have the spotting scope set up and I can usually get it directed at the moon, but it's usually in such an awkward position that it takes me so long and it's actually painful to get into the right place - is this par for the course? Should I be doing things differently

And then the lenses, frankly I don't have a clue! There are different magnifications but the moment I try and change the scope or moon inevitably moves, but even if it doesn't seem to I don't seem to be able to get anything out of any of them but the one that is lowest magnification. 

Is this normal? Are the others just too powerful for the moon?

And what about the Barlow - that seems to multiply magnification but again I can't find anything with anything but one of the lenses!

Can someone ELI5 what I'm doing wrong or how I get these lenses dialled in?

Thanks

It sounds to me as if your first problem is keeping the 'scope pointing where you want it to be, which is down to the flimsy tripod and less than ideal head on it. If you can close the legs down and stand the tripod on something like a stable garden table you may be able to reduce the wobble, perhaps even trying to arrange it so you are sitting down to view. Closing the tripod legs down will reduce the wobble. Ideally it you have a photo tripod , see if you can transfer the 'scope over onto that , the sturdier the tripod and mount the better, you want a firm base , and the ability to move smoothly and lock the 'scope on your target. If you don't own a tripod,  and can't borrow one from someone , there are plenty of second hand ones around, you don't need to spend very much  .

If the 'scope came with a 45 degree diagonal as Philip R  says, then I agree with him, best buy a 90 degree one, it will make the 'scope far easier to look through without turning into a contortionist  . No need to go mad with a diagonal which costs more than the telescope , something like this will do the job as a straight replacement as long as your existing diagonal has a diameter of 1.25" .

Once you have a steady tripod and a less neck breaking diagonal sorted, get the finder aligned as accurately as possible in the daytime (easier to do in the light and on a non moving lamp post or church spire ) , Next night time observing session start with the least powerful eyepiece,  centre your target on it, lock the tripod head controls so the 'scope stays lined up when you touch it, and swap in the next most powerful eyepiece. Keep looking through at your target, and if the view is good, keep swapping up through whatever magnifications you have . Stop increasing magnification when the image seems too wobbly or indistinct, but be aware you may need to tweak the focus a bit for each individual eyepiece. I'd ignore the barlow,  it probably isn't very good quality, 

Choose some easily found , impressive targets and do a bit of background reading on them so you know what you are both looking at . The Orion nebula is a good 'un, as are the Pleiades. 5 year olds love stories, so I'd look up  the myths and legends which give the (western and other cultures ) names to the constellations, planets and the Moon to tell her too. I never 'saw' the man in the Moon myself, but Chinese children see a rabbit .

Heather

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all that's some really useful information.  @Tiny Clanger really appreciate the thought there esp with regards to building the interest - do you have any good resources to look at for that background reading? As you say, my daughter loves those Myths! Also any resources to find the "things" that I can see with my scope? At the moment I don't really know where to look other than the moo

5 minutes ago, VaderAG said:

Thanks all that's some really useful information.  @Tiny Clanger really appreciate the thought there esp with regards to building the interest - do you have any good resources to look at for that background reading? As you say, my daughter loves those Myths! Also any resources to find the "things" that I can see with my scope? At the moment I don't really know where to look other than the moo

For targets , do a search o ere for 'moore winter marathon' ,  links to the very useful beginner list should be in there somewhere.

Similarly, with the stories, I'd just google (well actually I don't use google, so I'd duckduckgo ... ) 'constellation myths for children' , I bet there are many resources out there !

Good luck

Heather

The scope will mount on a camera tripod, which is likely to give you a more stable view, but if you don't have one, using on a table with the legs shortened will help a bit. 

As I recall from buying one for my nephews, it comes with a 45degree diagonal, and this has the advantage of not reversing the image. However, at high altitudes, it isn't as easy to use as a 90 degree diagonal, so you might consider getting one of those early on. 

In terms of targets, keeping to lower magnifications will give you plenty of things to look at. Clusters like the Pleiades and some of the Messier objects around the Milky Way near Orion can be rewarding at lower powers.

A guide such as 'Turn Left at Orion" is good as it has achievable targets for binoculars and small scopes, with suggestions for all the astronomical seasons

Edited by Gfamily

21 hours ago, VaderAG said:

do you have any good resources to look at for that background reading?

For planning your targets I would get a copy of Turn Left at Orion. Download and install Stellarium on your desktop/laptop plus SkEye the app on your phone.

In addiiton http://skymaps.com/downloads.html 

and for using your telescope...

https://www.highpointscientific.com/telescope-users-guide

https://lovethenightsky.com/how-to-use-a-telescope

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-equipment/10-top-telescope-questions

https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/telescope-stats-explained/#:~:text=The calculation is simple%3A divide,magnification on any given telescope

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you get the free "app" 'Celestron Sky Portal' on your mobile phone it has a lot of information in the descriptions including the myths behind the constellation names. Also many good pictures of planets etc which may entertain your child for hours. If your phone has a compass even better, as it can then show you what you are looking at and guide you to interesting targets.

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1