Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Obsy in the snow

centroid

Yesterday evening, Venus was visible in a break in the clouds, inspite of

it snowing over the observatory. Could not resist in seeing how

Venus would appear under such conditions (cloud features were visible

in the reduced brightness of the planet)

Fifteen minutes later, the roof was shut and it was no surprise to find everything

coverd in 10mm of snow. The observation reminded me of the one made

by Robert Stawell Ball on December 6th 1882, when he observed the transit of venus

during snowy conditions.

The trees belong to the farmer who own the fields at the rear, and about every 10 years, he comes along and cuts them, along the whole length of the field.

Not for our benefit, but so that he can get his farm machinery in close, and make maximum use of the growing area.

These trees are also at the rear of other properties backing onto the field, and grow up considerably over the years in between. However, those adjoining my garden never seem to grow back up again :grin: . In fact they are somewhat lower than how the were originally cut :( .

What wonderful invention the chainsaw was :grin:

BTW, the direction over trees is North, and I rarely image in that direction, as the county town of Ipswich is in that direction, albeit some miles away, but near enough to see some sky glow in that direction.

From the Obsy, Polaris is way clear of those trees. :)

Dave

Dave

I thought You British didn't get much snow over there! There were some comments on my welcome threat about the cold and snow over here in Victoria. I do feel for you guys, though - we had our dump right around Christmas time. I didn't have a scope to worry about then. Advice - Light weight snow shovels work best (if you can find them)!

Cheers,

Barry

Apparently, its the heaviest and widespread snow for 18 years Barry, so not the 'norm'. At least in the SE of the country.

Unfortunatley, our snow is of the wet kind, and not that lovely dry powdery stuff that you guys get.

Dave

It's mild here so most of the snow we do get is the wet stuff as well. Generally it's gone with in hours after falling or a day or two at the most. Last big snowfall prior to this winter was in 96. I don't miss it.

Hopefully your's goes quickly as well.

Cheers,

Barry

Archived