NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best choice for Planet (visual and webcam) among: Mewlon 180c, Vixen VMC, SW MAK180, TS CC8"

I would like to evaluate a compact tube among these, for visual and webcam use on the planets. Which of these, also in terms of price, represent the best compromise between cost / quality / comfort? How do you rate the MAK180 compared to others (major acclimatization problem)?

thanks

• Like 1

Had a Skymax180 and replaced it with a TS CC8”. Find the CC has a bit better sharpness than the 180 and takes higher magnification. But the biggest advantage is it’s quick cool down time and no dewing problems. Also the fixed primary means no mirror movement and the proper crayford is nice.

I replaced the stock focuser with a Baader Steeltrack. The stock focuser is usable but nothing like a Steeltrack. Also the Steeltrack is the refractor version with a lot more travel so no need to use the spacers for visual.

8266A61A-BB0F-4529-A078-3EFCF69E1174.jpeg

450EBA3A-E29E-46D8-BCE4-039DB5379EFF.jpeg

• Like 3

Seriously though I’d be tempted by the 8” CC but would be worried by diffraction stripes off any bright planets. Such planets through my 12” newt, which of course has spider vanes, are in my view slightly spoiled by the diffraction artifacts because they stream off the whole width of the disc in all 4 directions. Whereas I don’t mind the spikes on bright stars.

Magnus

• Like 1

If you dislike spider vanes, the best options seem to be the Skymax 180 and the C9.25 XLT (you don't need the Edge HD for planetary imaging). Add a 2x Barlow and a camera like the ASI 462 for planetary imaging, and maybe an ADC.

Disadvantage of these two is a requirement for waiting for thermal equilibrium (especially the big Mak, with its thick corrector glass). A HEQ5 mount class seems to be the minimum for both.

You can use reflectix, in order to reduce the thermal plumes inside the scopes.

N.F.