Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quick, Before The Moon Comes Up!

Epick Crom

Hi my fellow stargazers! Clear skies and decent seeing meant I just had to get some deep sky observing done before the rise of the waning gibbous moon! There were the highlights of my session using my 10" dob:

Wasat: Beautiful double in Gemini. Thanks to Jiggy 67 for drawing my attention to it!

NGC 2808: Bright globular cluster in Carina. The view at 267x was stunning!

NGC 1664. Interesting cluster/ asterism in Auriga. Thanks to Pixies for recommending this object!

Jacob's ladder: Also in Auriga, think I saw it, a bit low in my sky. Thanks to Ships And Stars for that one ( I'm stealing lots of fellow SGL users objects, especially the northern ones ๐Ÿ˜‡!)

M44 : First time seeing this lovely open cluster through my dob, interesting indeed

NGC 2438: Another first for me, this is the planetary nebula in the open cluster M46. Well latest studies say it's a foreground object. Clear disk seen.

IC 2602: The Southern Pleiades in Carina. Stunning blue stars against a black velvet Sky!

Tried unsuccessfully to locate the Eskimo nebula in Gemini, the moon was now up so I will try that another night. A large gum tree blocks my southern half of the sky, I'm patiently waiting for Carina to rise higher so I can view the ETA Carina nebula for the first time in my 10 inch. Watch this space!! Thanks for reading and clear skies to you all ๐Ÿ˜€

• Like 8

Very nice report and quite a few targets to get through. I have managed the Eskimo nebula with my 8" Dob and the moon out, so your 10" should be more capable than mine.ย You got me all excited with the weather comment and then I realised you are in Australia!๐Ÿ˜‚

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kon said:

Very nice report and quite a few targets to get through. I have managed the Eskimo nebula with my 8" Dob and the moon out, so your 10" should be more capable than mine.ย You got me all excited with the weather comment and then I realised you are in Australia!๐Ÿ˜‚

Hi Kon. Sorry to give you false hope mate! We are lucky here in Australia as clear skies are the norm, well at least here in Western Australia. One or two overcast nights and we going nuts! Clear skies ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

Hi Kon. Sorry to give you false hope mate! We are lucky here in Australia as clear skies are the norm, well at least here in Western Australia. One or two overcast nights and we going nuts! Clear skies ๐Ÿ˜Š

Alright!!.....No need to rub it in!! ย ๐Ÿ˜€

Great report. The Eskimo Nebula is a lovely object...as are most planetaries.....I'd be taking a chain saw to that gum tree!!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Alright!!.....No need to rub it in!! ย ๐Ÿ˜€

Great report. The Eskimo Nebula is a lovely object...as are most planetaries.....I'd be taking a chain saw to that gum tree!!

I'm certainly tempted to go with the chainsaw option Jiggy !! Planetaries are awesome , they show such great diversity and beauty ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

I'm certainly tempted to go with the chainsaw option Jiggy !! Planetaries are awesome , they show such great diversity and beauty ๐Ÿ‘

But I wouldn't disturb the diversity of the planetย ๐Ÿ˜€ย .

• Like 1