Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pegasus power box

Also have internal discussions about the two.  The advance with its 3A raspberry powered usb output, more amps overall and enough usb outputs makes me lean to the advance model.   Price isn’t that much higher over here.  Around 65,- more than the micro

Not much more will pay for a decent quality 8 port powered hub. 

i already run my pi from a good power supply. I’m not massively fussed on having a one stop shop 

maybe I should just get a lynx astro unit with Dslr and dew heaters 

I have the advance and really rate it. Run my lakeside focuser from it with the correct cable purchased separately. 
as for the Pi, I just use one of the USB2 ports to power it. Works fine. 

If I owned all ZWO I would have gone for the Air but Atik and Lakeside won’t play hence the Pegasus. It has made set up and take down a breeze. Takes seconds now so it’s almost worth it for that. I ended up buying the recommended power supply for another £70 and haven’t tried it on 12v yet. 

I previously used the Pegasus Pocket Powerbox with an Anker 10-port USB hub, which worked really well. If you're not fussed about an all-in-one, I see absolutely no reason as to why you shouldn't go for it. In terms of specifics, what I found really useful on the Pegasus was the auto dew control function; as it keeps the temperature just above dew point, there's a much lower risk of cooking the objective! I ended up replacing the PPB and USB hub with an Ultimate Powerbox as I also purchased an Intel NUC to make the setup fully remote.

13 hours ago, Milesy303 said:

I’m in a dilemma to get the Pegasus power box advance or the power box mini and a separate powered usb hub. 

I use the original PPB (before the new micro) alongside a generic powered USB hub and so far so good.  Although there's a power port from the PPB powering the USB hub so there's always a trade-off. 

The only thing about the PPB Advance is the number of USB ports. If you have a camera without an internal USB hub (like a ZWO has) it might not be enough (e.g. mount, camera, FW, focuser, guide cam). Also only 3 of the 4 can be USB2 (may not matter). 

All in one solutions are always tempting though!

Edited by geeklee

Like a lot of astro stuff, it seems so overpriced "for what it is". Then you use it and wonder how you worked before.

The PPA is a fantastic bit of kit and just works. I think once you add in the cost of a dew heater control box, powered USB hub and some way of powering all your devices, plus cables, you're not all that far from the cost of this. The PPA sticks all that in a small box with auto dew and an app to control everything from your laptop, plus 4 power leads to connect your mount, cameras etc.

I run a main cam, guide cam, two dew heaters, mount, filter wheel and focuser off mine. I have room for a rotator if necessary.

My only annoyance is finding the optional brackets atm is nigh on impossible.

Edited by Messy Hair 101

I am running the original PPB and a powered startech 7 port USB 3 hub. I was in a similar conundrum as you and decided on the cheaper option (At the time) of 2 devices and can say neither has let me down at all.  An added bonus is I have 7 USB 3 ports so more than enough while future proofing myself in case of added kit.