Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR advice

Anthonyexmouth

I think that mirrorless offerings look rather nice.

Same sensors as in regular DSLR cameras - but no moving mirror / mechanics, so lighter body and possibly longer battery life?

Canon Eos M3 seems like rather nice camera. According to this:

https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/Sensor_Characteristics.htm

It has quite high QE at 59% and decent other characteristics.

As far as I can see - it is no longer available but can be purchased second hand for a very good price.

Out of current models, M200 seems rather nice and affordable.

• Like 1

I hadn't considered mirrorless, could be very nice for a lightweight setup.  Wow, just looked on eBay, the M3 is super cheap

Not sure i'd go full frame as some of the cheaper aps-c lenses are nice and the cropped can also use full frame lenses. 

Whats the connectivity issue with M series? 

Edited by Anthonyexmouth

Most of the amateur scopes/correctors/reducers cover up to APS size sensor size, so it may be advisable you keep the size under control?

@vlaiv note that the Canon M3 has a very small battery. I wouldn't advise a long night of shooting with the battery only (maybe with a DC connection to a power supply)

N.F.

1 minute ago, nfotis said:

Most of the amateur scopes/correctors/reducers cover up to APS size sensor size, so it may be advisable you keep the size under control?

@vlaiv note that the Canon M3 has a very small battery. I wouldn't advise a long night of shooting with the battery only (maybe with a DC connection to a power supply)

N.F.

I always used a dummy battery and dc power with my old setup. would never rely on the battery. 

Well, I don't do much DSLR astro imaging so it did not occur to me to check all those options.

My idea is to use computer to control DSLR / mirrorless much like I do with regular astronomy cameras.

What I do like with M200 is ability to do remote shooting via wifi (at least I think it can do that).

I originally wanted to get one of these mirrorless cameras for EEVA style imaging on AzGti mount which has wifi as well. It would be rather nice to have EEVA platform without cables - but it turns out that Canon largely disables advanced wifi features. For example my Canon 750D can't do remote shooting via wifi link - but I believe that to be disabled rather than non existent feature.

2 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Well, I don't do much DSLR astro imaging so it did not occur to me to check all those options.

My idea is to use computer to control DSLR / mirrorless much like I do with regular astronomy cameras.

What I do like with M200 is ability to do remote shooting via wifi (at least I think it can do that).

I originally wanted to get one of these mirrorless cameras for EEVA style imaging on AzGti mount which has wifi as well. It would be rather nice to have EEVA platform without cables - but it turns out that Canon largely disables advanced wifi features. For example my Canon 750D can't do remote shooting via wifi link - but I believe that to be disabled rather than non existent feature.

I was thinking more along the lines of using the skywatcher app with the new star adventurer and the snap port. just to keep things nice and simple. 

I had the 760d , got rid of it because of the horizontal lines in stretched images. 

17 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I was thinking more along the lines of using the skywatcher app with the new star adventurer and the snap port. just to keep things nice and simple. 

How are your DIY skills? :D

There is wifi functionality in all these mirrorless cameras and I tested Canon camera control app for android - it let's you take images via wifi.

Maybe it would not be too hard to do arduino project that connects to snap port on star adventurer and wifi of camera and controls shutter release?

2 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

How are your DIY skills? :D

There is wifi functionality in all these mirrorless cameras and I tested Canon camera control app for android - it let's you take images via wifi.

Maybe it would not be too hard to do arduino project that connects to snap port on star adventurer and wifi of camera and controls shutter release?

If it was a home setup it might be worth tinkering with that but really looking for something I can keep in the back of the car for simple setup when out and about. May have to fall back on an older DSLR. 

27 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Not sure about the ***D models but my 80D can control most functions over wifi it can even switch between stills and video, the only limits is that it cant change the mode dial so if you are in manual you cant change it to bulb for example.. The canon app and EOS utils are wi fi friendly and the former even lets you micro focus a camera lens while looking at the live view image... Its just a shame that these apps dont include a full intervalometer function but I have my Pluto trigger for that.

Alan

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Not sure about the ***D models but my 80D can control most functions over wifi it can even switch between stills and video, the only limits is that it cant change the mode dial so if you are in manual you cant change it to bulb for example.. The canon app and EOS utils are wi fi friendly and the former even lets you micro focus a camera lens while looking at the live view image... Its just a shame that these apps dont include a full intervalometer function but I have my Pluto trigger for that.

Alan

I remember using the app to control my 760d. I just like the idea of using the skywatcher app to control the camera and image session. Does the 80d have an intervalometer port?

Just now, Anthonyexmouth said:

I remember using the app to control my 760d. I just like the idea of using the skywatcher app to control the camera and image session. Does the 80d have an intervalometer port?

The 80D has a shutter release port that you can plug an intervalometer into as do most of the Canon DSLR range... It does have a kind of built in intervalometer for doing time lapse etc but its very limited..

Alan

• Like 1