NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AVX Mount RS232 to USB cable

PeterCPC

23 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

What I linked to is RS232 to USB !!  what is the RS232 interface that you are using ??

The RS232 ens is like a telephone plug that goes in the bottom of the handset. What I am currently using is a RS232 (telephone plug) to serial then serial to USB. Like https://www.firstlightoptics.com/offers/offer_lynx-astro-rs232-serial-cable-for-celestron-mounts_205606.html

and then a coupler to the serial ending in a USB. I hope that's clear.

1 hour ago, PeterCPC said:

The RS232 ens is like a telephone plug that goes in the bottom of the handset. What I am currently using is a RS232 (telephone plug) to serial then serial to USB. Like https://www.firstlightoptics.com/offers/offer_lynx-astro-rs232-serial-cable-for-celestron-mounts_205606.html

and then a coupler to the serial ending in a USB. I hope that's clear.

You can find the cables you want on amazon. here are a couple of examples:  USB to RS232 or Ioptron version

They seem to be around £20 regardless of brand. They do exactly the same as your two part cable, except the USB/serial chipset is built into the USB port part of the cable.

16 hours ago, Shimrod said:

You can find the cables you want on amazon. here are a couple of examples:  USB to RS232 or Ioptron version

They seem to be around £20 regardless of brand. They do exactly the same as your two part cable, except the USB/serial chipset is built into the USB port part of the cable.

Thanks. It says that the ioptron version will not work with Celestron. I've asked if the Meade one will. Are you speaking from experience? Do you have a Celestron mount.

2 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Thanks. It says that the ioptron version will not work with Celestron. I've asked if the Meade one will. Are you speaking from experience? Do you have a Celestron mount.

I have both a Meade and Celestron mount - the Meade I control with a two part cable (which I've had 15 years without issue), and the Celestron AVX is normally controlled via wi-fi, although I also have the newer handset with USB port.

There is a Celestron version of the cable as well   Celestron USB-RS232 for £21-22 depending on length, or you can get a Lynx Celestron cable from FLO for £34 Lynx

You haven't said why you want to have a single cable, but if it was me I would just use a bit of self-amalgamating tape to join the two parts together with a waterproof seal - effectively making your two cables into one - cost around £3 if you don't already have  the tape.

Well I got the correct cable from Amazon. Tried to download driver from web site and it would not work (not responding) then asked seller to send me the driver directly. He just directed me back to the same web site. Sent it back for refund. I guess I'm stuck using the two part cable - at least it works.

Peter,

The Amazon listing states the chipset used is FTDI, so chances are you need the VCP driver listed Here   If that fails then arrange for a refund and return the item to them and purchase one from FLO  here as chances are either there is a fault with the one purchased from Amazon, or they are selling cheap chinese imports with counterfeit FTDI chipsets

You can always verify the chipset used  by opening  up device manager, hopefully under the Ports section the device will show up as a new com port but will have an exclamation mark indicating a problem with it.  Right click on it, select properties, go to the Details tab, and from the dropdown list of options labels "Property" select Hardware ID.  Copy and paste the string of characters shown in the "Value" box into google and that should confirm the actual chipset used. 

Edited by malc-c
added info on device manager

The problem was that I downloaded the driver but it would not run. I have returned it for a refund. Yes it was Chinese in origin.

I've just noticed that the FLO version refers to a download for a driver from the very same site as the one I bought. I think that I will pass on that.

Edited by PeterCPC