NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Perseus Double Cluster - Jan 2021

geoflewis

Hi all,

I haven't been on here much recently, which is primarily due to almost no imaging for 2 months. However, I finally got out the past couple of weeks and got back to DSO imaging, after several months dedicated solely to Mars. My 'return to DSO' target was the Double Cluster (NGCs 869 & 884), which is one of my favourite visual targets with my 22x85 binoculars and something that I haven't imaged for 6 years and back then with a DSLR camera. The image is LRGB with approximately 1 hour each filter (all 3m subs L=22, R=18, G=17, B=22). Captured with my QSI583wsg-5 camera through my 4" TSAPO100Q telescope.

DoubleCluster_LRGB(v2)_IP_PS.thumb.jpg.4be0381f013c15e47dc4b1509efd49ac.jpg

It took me several nights over 2 weeks to get even this data, mainly due to the continuing rubbish skies, but also not aided because on 2 nights I forgot to turn on the dew heater strap, so probably 70%+ of the subs from those nights were unusable...!!

Thanks for looking.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, ultranova said:

That's come out lovely,

Probably one of the most photographed double clusters in the sky,

And for good reason, very subtle processing has made for a nice rendition of these clusters

well done.

Paul 

Thanks Paul,

I'm pleased that you like it.

58 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Super Geoff.  A favourite  star cluster of mine, and probably most observers.  I particularly like the carbon stars.

53 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

An absolute pukka image Geof. 

Thanks both. Yes, definitely one of the visual lolipops. It's one of the first faint fuzzies that I located with my naked eyes well over 50 yeas ago and then likewise one that I first looked at through my first telescope back in 1971. It remains an enduring favourite of mine and always will be.

• Like 1