Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Focus issue or stacking issue?

Pryce

Try changing the alignment method.  DSS usually defaults to Automatic which with 700+ detected stars will result in Bicubic being selected.  I've occasionally have had similar results of aligned stars in most of the image but strange effects in some areas.  Select either Bisquared or Bilinear instead. 

Untitled.png.7446613f51f8bcea28ce494bff79fe9d.png

• Like 1

On 14/01/2021 at 18:13, Pryce said:

That's a good idea!   

Anyone in perticular I should give a go?

AstroArt.  The price is reasonable and the recent gradient removal tools also work. I do all my stacking and calibrating in AA. It is fast, logical, well laid out and has lots of extras if you need them.

APP also seems good. I have never got on with DSS but it would be mean to complain, given the price! :D

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

What are your calibration frames like?  Many don't but you should always check them all individually as well, you should blink test or otherwise look at each individual flat/bias/dark frame and check it is ok.  If a duff flat/bias/dark creeps in you can wreck the resultant master calibration frame which then in turn can wreck your master image.

What image integration are you using?

I use PixInsight for all pre-processing.  It is incredibly powerful.  Download a trial version.  It is not cheap but it is masterful at what it can do.