Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skymax 127 review

1 hour ago, LeeHore7 said:

Yes I agree, it would be a good goto package, maybe I could work for skywatcher marketing team 😉, there may not be a lot of difference in price if it was a whole set up or modeled together 

It may be quite pricey as the GoTo mount and tripod would both have to be upgraded for the scope. Although it would be a nice package.

• Like 1

I am wondering, since I own a  Skymax 127 (bought used), would it be worth it to buy a 150 and replace it? It should be a tad sharper and permit the use of a full frame dSLR (the 127 vignettes badly above APS sensor size).

Also own a C9.25 XLT, so I feel that there's no real need for another large planetary scope (was thinking about a Skymax 180 before I decided on a 'jack of all trades' SCT).

Using a HEQ5 mount at the moment.

N.F.

22 hours ago, Spier24 said:

That could work, although it would be nice to have it all together in one package on a GoTo mount for people who'd want that.

They would be unlikely to. They sell packages with mediocre elements so that you buy better stuff later on. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 13/01/2021 at 20:49, Tiny Clanger said:

I've no idea whereabouts in the world the OP is , they don't say, but in case they are in the UK, around here the 127mak comes with a 1.25" diagonal, RDF and the standard (rubbish) SW  EPs  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-127-ota.html

Lower spec. accessories for us ,  but I think, (I've not converted $ to £ for years now !) cheaper .

Heather

Well, I have received a “6x30 finderscope” with my  127 skymax, and I am in the UK, visual back is 1.25” though!

25 minutes ago, galaxy-gazer said:

Well, I have received a “6x30 finderscope” with my  127 skymax, and I am in the UK, visual back is 1.25” though!

I didn't see the 127 OTA advertised with anything but an RDF when I was shopping around.  I looked at all the big UK online dealers : FLO, RVO, Harrison , 365,  etc etc

There are bundled versions of mount + mak which have a 6x30 straight through finder as part of the package though, you can see them at OVL who are the skywatcher importer . With supplies the way they are I'd not be at all surprised to find a retailer splitting a package into OTA / AZ5/triopd to fulfil backorders on one or more elements.

• Thanks 1