Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AZ / EQ mount in keeping with the FC100DZ philosophy

Fedele

I plan to purchase an AZEQ6, to be used for now with the FC100DZ and related other accessories, for now only visual and planetary imaging with webacam (tomorrow who knows DSO photos, but it's not my urgency) and in the future with some 20 / 25 cm for planetary imaging.
I love watching AZ and I like being comfortable.
But while waiting for future uses, I think at the moment I would find myself an expensive and very bulky and heavy frame. which clashes with the choice of the FC100 devoted to lightness, space saving, practicality, etc.
I'm doing it wrong?
what other double AZ / EQ, GOTO solution do you recommend? that does not exceed the cost of AZEq6?
thanks

I never use goto, so can't really advise on that. But I think an AZEQ6 might be over kill for the DZ. I suppose much depends on whether you want an easy grab and go set-up or a more solid permanent one. The DZ is easily carried by a Vixen GP which is what I use in my observatory, so not a big mount. While for grab & go I use a simple AZ4. The easier things are to set up, the more often you'll want to use them. I'm purely a visual obeerver and don't image!

IMG_5970.JPG.3ab6258182c54305e0b8a1db58e3be42.JPG

IMG_5975.jpg.46f1035ab8d45e7724c50957c0d09e0b.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 3

I have a Tak FC100-DL. It is a light and easy to mount scope. I don't image so I've found a Vixen GP, Giro Ercole and the Skytee II mounts work very well with the DL while remaining portable. Nothing has heavy or complex as the AZEQ6 for me:

takercole00.JPG.f5d768a72840f474e526b069a272001f.JPG

takvixeq03.JPG

Edited by John
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd second the AZEQ5.  I use it for an APM/LZOS 105/650 and it performs well. 

If you don't want  a goto then the Giro II is fine, but it benefits from counterweights.  As a halfway house, ie push to, the Tecnosky Elle v2 with the Nexus computer also works well.

I don't own either but having used an Evolution mount (with an 8 inch SCT) I would think that clearance between the focuser end of the FC-100DZ and the mount base might be an issue when the scope is pointing above 45 degrees altitude ?

In this thread on another forum, this is discussed and modifications are shown which allow a 4 inch Takahashi to be used with an Evolution so that it clears the base:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/632855-refractors-that-work-with-evolution-mount/