NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

dust bunnie dirt

neil phillips

Hi guys i have a QHY 462c there is dirt either on the AR Coated optical window. Or the chip. Of course to check for this. I should loosen the optical window rotate it. See if the dirt rotates.. If not, its on the chip.

Tried to unscrew  the optical window, it seemed tight. I didnt want to force it. I assume the optical window unscrews ? Anybody have any feedback about how i should tackle this problem. My technique for cleaning chips is to use a cotton bud wrapped inside a micro fibre cloth. And use some Eclipse cleaning fluid 

Hi, don't know about qhy, but I rarely remove the glass front for cleaning the sensor if needed I would use an air spray to disperse the dust and hopefully that would work. or a vacuum to suck it out, removing the glass is a last resort at least for me. other folks may differ? ton

6 hours ago, ebdons said:

Hi, don't know about qhy, but I rarely remove the glass front for cleaning the sensor if needed I would use an air spray to disperse the dust and hopefully that would work. or a vacuum to suck it out, removing the glass is a last resort at least for me. other folks may differ? ton

Thanks for the feedback. Never tried a vacuum. Would worry it was a bit strong. Have ordered a air blower. Though that can both help and make it worse depending on the situation. Not sure i trust canned air, read horror stories of propellent occasionaly coming out. I need to determine if its on the optical window or chip. Before i do anything. QHY warn against cleaning the optical window too strongly, as the AR Coatings can scratch. Will have to figure out where the problem is.

Edited by neil phillips

6 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Can we see an image you've taken showing the dust please? 

Hi  Kat Just deleted them last night.. But is either on the optical window or the chip. I will rotate the optical window and see if its on that ? it looks like the chip though.

The smaller and darker the closer to the chip though it depends on the f-ratio of your scope. I’d give the window a clean before I tried to remove the window. Shine a brig tonight on the window, dust should be quite easy to see. I would hope why would have sealed their cameras in a clean place to minimise dust appearing.

Peter

This is what I was thinking (i added spaces and dot so you could choose if you wanted to look at the link) shows whether dot on sensor or protect window, looks quite drastic and not something I would do

https:// astronomy-imaging-camera.com/manuals/How_to_clean_ASI_camera_and_redry_the_desiccant DOT pdf

It is on this page

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/manuals-guides

Edited by happy-kat

What do your bunnies look like, the link shows blurry doughnuts for the window (I get them on my old imaging source camera, but never then tiny black (on the chip) ones. Quick wipe or blow sorts them, though if I manually track the sun the bunnies move about and so Autostakkert averages them away, only a problem if I use the tracking mount!

Peter

15 hours ago, PeterW said:

What do your bunnies look like, the link shows blurry doughnuts for the window (I get them on my old imaging source camera, but never then tiny black (on the chip) ones. Quick wipe or blow sorts them, though if I manually track the sun the bunnies move about and so Autostakkert averages them away, only a problem if I use the tracking mount!

Peter

Quite small and dark Peter. Should be able to tell if i rotated the optical window. if it moves its on that. If it is on the chip, might wait untill i have a air blower. Before i go cleaning the chip. seems the best course. Thanks for the input everyone much appreciated.

15 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

https://www.ccdware.com/resources/

The calculator allows you to assess where the dust motes are sitting.......

Thanks for the link.  Appreciate the help. Checking out all the info out, about this.  From what Peter is saying and my own experience. I suspect its on the chip. If so i will do a manual air blow then test. It may or may not work. Then its micro fibre cloth time. 

Edited by neil phillips