NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Barnard 33 The Horsehead Nebula

Rattler

First image of the year and quite pleased with this.

01/01/21 Preston, UK
Barnard 33 The Horsehead Nebula and NGC2024 The Flame Nebula
Altair Astro 102 ED-R with 0.79x reducer.
36x300s exposures with the Zwo ASI294MC Pro and STC Duo.
Calibration frames applied.

Horsehead_NebulaFinal.png

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 22

I particularly like how Alnitak is still a major force in the image but doesn't ruin it.

There is a thread running here on SGL about authenticity of images. I'd offer Alnitak and how it's managed in Horse Head images as a good example of imaging honesty. Sometime it's so tightly controlled as to look unrealistic or unnatural.  

I've never been a fan of starless nebulae images. The stars are an essential ingredient in my view. By all means control them and their artifacts, it is an essential aspect of imaging, but don't deny them!! :)

• Like 2

I just today finished my 60mm refractor made from a salvaged objective from a dead pair of (I think) Russian binos. With the prism stack removed from the light path, a rack type eBay special focuser and my 12mm EP it nearly matches the view through my C90 Mak. It returns a MUCH wider FOV! I’m going to look at Orion through the “new” scope tonight. All I need is a mounting plate and I can stick it on my mount. At one time I used PVC pipe fittings and a “friction” focuser to view the Orion crowd and got fair results with the same lenses. I’m hoping adding a proper focuser will add another level of enjoyment to a $25 total investment scope. The “goodies” in Orion should be viewable at the very least. I’m seriously considering using this as a guide scope down the road.

• Like 1