Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How difficult is it to astromodify a canon DSLR?

AlanP_

I've bought a 600D and I want to astro modify it. I've had a look at the tutorials and follow along guide and it seems manageable, but i'd like to hear the opinions of people who have done it themselves. Perhaps you could share some of your tips you found helpful when doing it. 

Cheers!

Stressful !!

I did my 400d - removed both IR filters.... If you have good eyesight and steady hands it's a fairly easy job (assuming the 600d is similar).  There are lots of tiny tiny screws, and the thin flexi printed cables don't like movement much.

If you do the modification yourself, pick a day where you won't get interrupted, have a really bright light to help, and use plenty of pots for the screws.

• Thanks 1

I self modded a 450D, it's pretty straight forward if you have a good set of instructions. As mentioned above steady hands, good eyesight and a bright light are definitely needed. Just keep tabs on where everything goes 👍

I modded a 450D also and it went pretty smoothly.  Had a couple scary moments, but it turned out ok in the end.  I did manage to mess up one of the connectors, but it didn't affect functionality that I cared about.  Also, a complete replacement sensor for these older Canon cameras are typically pretty cheap so even if something goes horribly wrong, it's likely that you can purchase a new sensor and fix it.  The link that Dave posted is a really good set of instructions and even has a printable sheet to tape down any screws you remove as you go through the process.   

Another thing to look for on EBay or other sites are cameras where some functionality isn't working (like stuck flash or broken screen) that make the camera non-functional for normal photography but which you wouldn't care about.  

Brilliant, thanks for that input all. I feel a bit more comfortable about doing it now.

I'm just going to take my time with it and follow that guide that @Davey-T sent. Well, the text version on the website, here: http://dslrmodifications.com/rebelmod450d1.html

Camera will be here in a couple of days. I'll update this post with hopefully, a sucessfully modified camera :)

Im just reading through the tutorial here to get a grasp of what it will be like when I do it. This bit has me a bit confused though. What is the difference between a IR cut only and a full spectrum mod? Which one should I do?

165850968_irfilter.thumb.PNG.cdd2cdd94b865a81136f3eeeaec53859.PNG

I just noticed too that he installed the Astronomic clear filter after he removed the IR filter. Is that needed? This is the one im referring too - https://www.astronomik.com/en/photographic-filters/mc-glass-for-dslr-astromodification/astronomik-mc-klarglas-for-canon-eos-450d-500d-550d-600d-1000d.html

I thought I only needed to remove the IR filter and put it back together. I probably would have tried to pick up an already modified astrophotography camera if thats the case!

42 minutes ago, AlanP_ said:

Im just reading through the tutorial here to get a grasp of what it will be like when I do it. This bit has me a bit confused though. What is the difference between a IR cut only and a full spectrum mod? Which one should I do?

165850968_irfilter.thumb.PNG.cdd2cdd94b865a81136f3eeeaec53859.PNG

These cameras have two IR filters - a full spectrum mod removes both filters and replaces them with a clear filter so you get the full spectrum from beyond IR to beyond UV to whatever range the sensor can detect.  I opted for the Badder mod, which replaces the low pass filter with one that still give some filtration.

Gary Honis was one of the pioneers in modding these cameras - have a read http://dslrmodifications.com/FullSpectrum/Advantages.html

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, malc-c said:

These cameras have two IR filters - a full spectrum mod removes both filters and replaces them with a clear filter so you get the full spectrum from beyond IR to beyond UV to whatever range the sensor can detect.  I opted for the Badder mod, which replaces the low pass filter with one that still give some filtration.

Gary Honis was one of the pioneers in modding these cameras - have a read http://dslrmodifications.com/FullSpectrum/Advantages.html

Cheers, thanks for the link. 

I just came across this post here over on cloudynights -https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/483662-knowing-dslr-mod-types/

They recommended to remove the filter and to not replace it with any filter or glass. What are your thoughts on this? If im honest, this is the route I would like to go as I'd rather not spend much more money for a while!

3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I will post a video in the near future, ive modded loads in the past, recently a 450D,  im gona do an tutorial on how to do it..............

That could be helpful to me and many others im sure!

3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Doing the mod is easier than organising a plane id imagine!

Haha, i'd say you're right there. 

Perhaps you can give some input on this. When astromodifying my camera (Which will be sometime next week), can I JUST remove the IR filter, and not add any clear glass? I am trying to find a clear answer online but there seems to be a lot of conflicting thoughts on this subject and some of the terminology is just going over my head as a beginner. I will be using a clip in light pollution filter in my Canon 600d, so does that have any affect on doing the astro modifcation?

In the video he added the Astronomic clear glass, but i'd rather avoid using it if I can to avoid paying another 65 quid!

Cheers Davy.

35 minutes ago, AlanP_ said:

Cheers, thanks for the link. 

I just came across this post here over on cloudynights -https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/483662-knowing-dslr-mod-types/

They recommended to remove the filter and to not replace it with any filter or glass. What are your thoughts on this? If im honest, this is the route I would like to go as I'd rather not spend much more money for a while!

That could be helpful to me and many others im sure!

Personally, at the time I did mine, it was recommended to replace the IR cut filter with the Badder filter... opinions may have changed.  I live in a town, and even with the move from sodium to LED lighting I can still see the benefit of the modification.  In my opinion having something covering the CCD means it's dust free, especially as in my case the scope and camera are left coupled together in the observatory.

To give you some idea on how my camera performs with the Badder filter, here's a single exposure of the moon.  The only processing done is to reduce the image size to suite the forum (in PS CS2 😉 )

Single__0004_ISO400_1-1600s__NA.JPG.2adb794621dd5a4c06e449f0ccac8d05.JPG

And the same image with PS's auto levels applied

387107115_Single__0004_ISO400_1-1600s__NAadjusted.jpg.d06d25eec5a813d6309ef1ded29444f9.jpg

27 minutes ago, malc-c said:

Personally, at the time I did mine, it was recommended to replace the IR cut filter with the Badder filter... opinions may have changed.  I live in a town, and even with the move from sodium to LED lighting I can still see the benefit of the modification.  In my opinion having something covering the CCD means it's dust free, especially as in my case the scope and camera are left coupled together in the observatory.

To give you some idea on how my camera performs with the Badder filter, here's a single exposure of the moon.  The only processing done is to reduce the image size to suite the forum (in PS CS2 😉 )

Single__0004_ISO400_1-1600s__NA.JPG.2adb794621dd5a4c06e449f0ccac8d05.JPG

And the same image with PS's auto levels applied

387107115_Single__0004_ISO400_1-1600s__NAadjusted.jpg.d06d25eec5a813d6309ef1ded29444f9.jpg

Interesting, so the clear glass basically just acts as a protective layer?

No... it is a tuned IR filter to let IR spectrum and the emission wavelength of Hydrogen Alpha through -

spacer.png

The thing is that these days I don't think they still make and sell  these filters anymore  https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/services/canon-astro-upgrade-for-all-canon-aps-c-dslr-cameras.html

Having said that, a quick google and 365Astronomy list them in stock for around £55 https://www.365astronomy.com/baader-bcf-h-alpha-intensifier-filter-for-canon-7d-40d-50d-60d-400d-450d-500d-550d-600d-650d-1000d-1100d.html

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, malc-c said:

No... it is a tuned IR filter to let IR spectrum and the emission wavelength of Hydrogen Alpha through -

spacer.png

The thing is that these days I don't think they still make and sell  these filters anymore  https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/services/canon-astro-upgrade-for-all-canon-aps-c-dslr-cameras.html

Having said that, a quick google and 365Astronomy list them in stock for around £55 https://www.365astronomy.com/baader-bcf-h-alpha-intensifier-filter-for-canon-7d-40d-50d-60d-400d-450d-500d-550d-600d-650d-1000d-1100d.html

Oh, my mistake. 

Lets say I didn't install the clear glass filter and just removed the IR filter. What would happen then? 

I found this over on Cloudynights. So maybe it is ok without the glass?

image.thumb.png.fc173a9ac319a46f247dbd385072c920.png

Edited by AlanP_

????????? - No idea... I think the removal of all filters (ie leaving the sensor exposed) mucks up the auto-focus (assuming you intend to do IR photography) and leaves the sensor exposed to dust and grime?

Like I said, when I did mine the "in thing" was simply to remove the IR cut filter, and replace the second canon filter with the Badder BFC filter.  Naturally if you remove all filters the sensor can see all of the spectrum within its design parameters at 100% transmission levels.  I personally can say which is better, I've already explained why I installed the Badder filter

• Thanks 1

When I modded the 450D I just removed the glass from the low pass 2 filter and put it all back together again. I didn't bother replacing it with anything else. The only caveat with this is you lose auto focus but you don't need it for astro anyway 😀

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, malc-c said:

????????? - No idea... I think the removal of all filters (ie leaving the sensor exposed) mucks up the auto-focus (assuming you intend to do IR photography) and leaves the sensor exposed to dust and grime?

Like I said, when I did mine the "in thing" was simply to remove the IR cut filter, and replace the second canon filter with the Badder BFC filter.  Naturally if you remove all filters the sensor can see all of the spectrum within its design parameters at 100% transmission levels.  I personally can say which is better, I've already explained why I installed the Badder filter

No worries Malcolm, appreciate that.

3 minutes ago, Stuf1978 said:

When I modded the 450D I just removed the glass from the low pass 2 filter and put it all back together again. I didn't bother replacing it with anything else. The only caveat with this is you lose auto focus but you don't need it for astro anyway 😀

Ah perfect! Should be ok so. Is there anything to be aware of when using filters with the modified camera?

30 minutes ago, AlanP_ said:

No worries Malcolm, appreciate that.

Ah perfect! Should be ok so. Is there anything to be aware of when using filters with the modified camera?

I've only ever used a Skytech CLS and Optolong L-eNhance (both clip in) and never had any issues 😀

Just now, Stuf1978 said:

I've only ever used a Skytech CLS and Optolong L-eNhance (both clip in) and never had any issues 😀

Is that with the filter removed and no clear glass installed? I read that if you dont replace it with the clear glass or use a clip in IV/IR filter you get bloated stars.