Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TS refractor - first impressions.

My new (to me!) 6" f8 came today. I've had a little play with it just to check it over for obvious faults (didn't find any :lol:).

First impressions:

Really nice focusser for a R&P, very smooth and no slop.

Collimatable lens cell.

The dew shield is way too short at only 4-5 incnes past the lens

Saw a fair bit of CA when doing the "telephone line" test, but that to be expected.

Very large scope, my EQ5 will probably just be OK with it but I can see the EQ6 getting used more, this scope is pretty heavy.

More to follow when the clouds allow.....

My camera isn't playing ball at the moment mate (5 quid doesn't seem to buy you much these days....). I've just got my Nikon some rechargable batteries so I'll post a picture when they are charged.

BTW anyone know how to collimate a refractor?

looking forward to the review.

Me too, his last refractor review was spot on 8)

Cheers Steve, I'm (hopefully) going to set the 6"f8 and the 5"f9.4 side by side and just concentrate on Jupiter and Saturn. Should make an interesting comparision, added detail vs. the added CA.

I too have seen that site. Was looking at the 8'' (200) Newtonians rather than splashing out on the LDX75 8'' SN Meade.

http://www.telescope-service.com/newtonians/start/newtoniansstart.html

Quite a saving compared to the Meades and in my limited knowledge, they look like they are pretty much there with the quality.

The TS Newtonians are GSO (Taiwanese) made and probably a cut above your average Newtonian. However, the Meade Schmidt Newtonian with its front corrector lens is a different animal and more costly to manufacture.

I too have seen that site. Was looking at the 8'' (200) Newtonians rather than splashing out on the LDX75 8'' SN Meade.

http://www.telescope-service.com/newtonians/start/newtoniansstart.html

Quite a saving compared to the Meades and in my limited knowledge, they look like they are pretty much there with the quality.

The TS Newtonians are GSO (Taiwanese) made and probably a cut above your average Newtonian. However, the Meade Schmidt Newtonian with its front corrector lens is a different animal and more costly to manufacture.

mmmm, think you have me there but they do seem to be great value compared to the meades, skywatchers I have been looking at esp when you consider the whole GSO spec.

Don't get me wrong - I own a GSO newtonian, so does Gaz, and we are both pleased with them.

I am just pointing out that for a comparison to be valid it must be on a like for like basis.

I see the point you are making. :lol:

Archived