NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dew heater strip for ZWO cooled cameras

I've decided to take the plunge and go for my first cooled camera, after much pontificating, although it's not an ideal pixel match, I've gone for the ASI533MC.  A couple of questions; firstly is the dew heater strip essential, is the session limited or could there be damage to the window if not used?  Secondly, I'm assuming that the camera couldn't be powered from my ASIair pro and that I'll need the separate power supply, is this correct?  TIA

2 hours ago, Martthebass said:

I've decided to take the plunge and go for my first cooled camera, after much pontificating, although it's not an ideal pixel match, I've gone for the ASI533MC.  A couple of questions; firstly is the dew heater strip essential, is the session limited or could there be damage to the window if not used?  Secondly, I'm assuming that the camera couldn't be powered from my ASIair pro and that I'll need the separate power supply, is this correct?  TIA

I'm looking at getting the 533 & ASiair Pro & guiding with ASI 120mm-s, from the YouTube reviews I've read the 533 can be powered by the ASIair (unless I've misunderstood) I'll also be powering my mount with it (it has 4 X 12v outputs) I'll then be powering the ASIair with a Celestron LiFePO4 powertank. I can't help regarding dew heater straps for the 533 but I'll be using one on my Samyang 135mm lens which I'm using also.

• Thanks 1

I use a dew strap on my refractor telescope lenses, but not on my ASI533. The refractor lens is prone to dewing up when it is pointed at the dark night sky and loses heat/cools down by radiation cooling. Moisture in the immediately adjacent air will condense when the lens is below the dew point of that air. A ‘dew shield’ may act as a physical barrier to more humid air and avoid air circulation to some extent, but ultimately when the dew point of the air near the lenses is reached dew will condense on them. Hence a dew strap heater around the lens area will help to keep the lenses above the dew point. On the other hand the ASI533 ‘window’ is protected by being inside the telescope tubing surrounded by relatively dry air if the camera is fitted before going outside.

• Thanks 1

I was having the same question as well,i just bought the Asi2600 that has dew heater installed. 

I have never deal with dew heaters before and I was wondering if there is a chance that extensive use could damage the sensor glass or whatsoever. 

Also since I live in Athens Greece I was wondering if in the summer that the temperature is high if its necessary to use the dew heaters? 

There is a Dedicated  ZWO camera heater available that sticks to the camera faceplate and comes with a power splitter cable.  Wether to fit one or not depends on your environment and camera setup. Unless you are experiencing freezing moisture on your camera window I wouldn’t bother. I doubt ZWO would sell the camera dew heater that’s available if there was the possibility of damage to the camera.  If you are using a portable power arrangement it may be better to reduce the cooled temperature to -10 than add another power drain.