NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Decent seeing for a change

John

Got my ED120 refractor out with a couple of hours clear skies forecast.

Despite Mars dwindling size it actually looked rather nice tonight. Sharp and contrasty at 281x. Phase and southern hemisphere darker markings showing nicely. No south polar cap as far as I can see though. Last time I viewed it (Xmas eve) it was useless to use more than about 180x. Much better seeing tonight.

Uranus pale grey green disk also nice and sharp at the same magnification.

While waiting for Orion to rise up a bit more I'm going though some of the double stars in Pisces and Cetus. Some nice ones in that patch of sky.

It's supposed to cloud over around 11:00 pm so I'd better make the most of it :smiley:

• Like 10

The seeing must be decent here tonight. 32 Orionis is an easy split and 52 Orionis is splitting quite clearly as well, during the best periods of seeing.

Edited by John

The red giant star Propus (Eta Geminorum) is situated just over 5 degrees to the W of the full moon tonight. This is a close double star with the primary star having a magnitude of around 3.4 and the secondary 6.2. The separation is 1.7 arc seconds or thereabouts so a nice challenge. Bathed in the moonlight this pair looks lovely tonight at around 300x. The orange / pink colouration of the primary star seems particularly enhanced perhaps by the moonlight ?. The dimmer star looks greyish tonight. Very nice pairing.

Looks like the forecast was correct though and a thin but annoying layer of cloud is now spreading across the sky from the NW so thats probably going to end this session.

Very nice while it lasted though :grin:

Edited by John
  • Like 5

Propus?? ......noted for a future session 

I found the seeing to be pretty bad last night where I am. I was also touring some doubles and really struggled, the stars appeared watery and “spikey” if you know what I mean.....unless it was too much alcohol over Xmas!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John said:

The red giant star Propus (Eta Geminorum) is situated just over 5 degrees to the W of the full moon tonight. This is a close double star with the primary star having a magnitude of around 3.4 and the secondary 6.2. The separation is 1.7 arc seconds or thereabouts so a nice challenge. Bathed in the moonlight this pair looks lovely tonight at around 300x. The orange / pink colouration of the primary star seems particularly enhanced perhaps by the moonlight ?. The dimmer star looks greyish tonight. Very nice pairing.

Looks like the forecast was correct though and a thin but annoying layer of cloud is now spreading across the sky from the NW so thats probably going to end this session.

Very nice while it lasted though :grin:

Thanks John. Although I have observed M35 many times I don't appear to have observed Propus. Clearly something I most do.

All the best John for 2021 and hopefully we will meet up again next year.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Thanks John. Although I have observed M35 many times I don't appear to have observed Propus. Clearly something I most do.

All the best John for 2021 and hopefully we will meet up again next year.

Thanks Mark - all the best to you and yours as well :icon_biggrin:

23 hours ago, John said:

The red giant star Propus (Eta Geminorum) is situated just over 5 degrees to the W of the full moon tonight. This is a close double star with the primary star having a magnitude of around 3.4 and the secondary 6.2. The separation is 1.7 arc seconds or thereabouts so a nice challenge. Bathed in the moonlight this pair looks lovely tonight at around 300x. The orange / pink colouration of the primary star seems particularly enhanced perhaps by the moonlight ?. The dimmer star looks greyish tonight. Very nice pairing....

I have just managed to split this attractive pair with my Tak 100mm. The secondary star is right on the thin diffraction ring from the primary with the 100mm aperture. Split at 225x and a little easier at 300x. Uneven brightness adds to the challenge. Rather like Zeta Hercules in some ways but the PA is quite different and the separation is a little greater with Propus.

Well worth the effort on a cold night :thumbright:

• Like 3

Sounds lovely John👍.

I'm sure I've used this star as a starhop towards M35 before, but don't recall ever looking directly at it..if it's clear tonight I think I will give it a go..and the Moon should be a bit further out of the way too - not that it seems to have hampered your observations!😊.

Thanks for sharing, and Happy New Year to you and your family.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1