Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Asiair Pro- is a 2GB RAM Tablet Enough?

Hi, 

I’m looking into purchasing an ASiair Pro device sometime next year but was a little disconcerted at finding the recommended RAM on an Android tablet to control the device is 4GB of RAM or more. I have a relatively new Samsung Tab A but with 2 GB of RAM and had intended using this device to interface wirelessly with the ASiair Pro. Will it be able to operate with the ASiair Pro however, hence this thread to gain insight from members already using the device?

My only other previous experience with wi-fi control has been with my Eagle Core unit which creates a wi-fi hot spot allowing a Windows 10 laptop, Apple or Android device to access and control the proprietary Eagle App installed on the Eagle Core; thus it is the Eagle Core which undertakes the imaging and guiding with the DSLR’s SD card holding the imaging data and the tablet used for convenient connection to oversee the processes. I had perhaps wrongly assumed that the ASiair Pro held enough on board RAM (4 GB itself?) to undertake the various functions-imaging, guiding, plate solving etc. allowing the Apple or Android mobile or tablet to act as a controlling device but not of itself requiring any great system RAM overhead. I am left wondering if this not the case also with the ASiair Pro?

I have contacted FLO our sponsors and they have promptly replied and feel I ought to be able to get by with a 2GB RAM tablet, not hearing many problems from customers.

Before planning any further I would be interested to learn of any other members having successfully used their ASiair Pro devices with tablets having 2GB RAM installed and found this sufficient?

I'll finally take the opportunity to also wish everyone a safe and merry Christmas and a better New Year.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I don’t know the answer regarding 2gb, I use an iPad. However, once you have set up the imaging run, it will operate with the controller off. You can walk away and let it do it’s stuff. It seems to use most of my iPad power, whilst focussing, when it constantly shoots, or say in in live mode, when it’s constantly stacking and displaying the results on the screen, or videoing. I’d guess it’s these sort of actions that use the controller ram, and even then, probably only to display the results on the screen. Plate solving for example, is just a single shot that takes seconds to process and display the image. I’d therefore guess that most  actions will operate normally with the lesser ram, but I can’t say for sure. :) 

and a Merry Christmas to you too. :) 

Edited by Scooot
  • Like 1

I have used both versions of the ASIAIR with my iPhone 8, which has 2 GB of RAM according to the specs. To be honest I didn't know 4 GB was recommended, but I've never experienced anything slow with the app. I believe a lot of people have been using the ASIAIR with cheap Android tablets with 1 or 2 GB of RAM.

Of course an Android tablet isn't an iPhone, but keep in mind the app running on the tablet is only a way to control the ASIAIR. All calculations are done by the computer, and only displayed in the app. I agree with Richard though, some functions like focusing or video mode, might require more resources than basic functions. But I think you should be fine :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, SteveNickolls said:

Thanks everyone for your replies, it's looking like 2GB  should be fine for what I'd put the device to. I'm pleased my understanding of what the ASiair Pro does and my tablet will do are right. Thanks greatly.

Cheers,

Steve

I still haven’t been able to use mine much even though I’ve had it since June. However, I like it a lot and It has added another dimension to my very basic imaging skills.

For example, this morning, in between rain drops I was focussing my Tak on the cockerel on the Church Steeple half a mile away with the ASI mini camera I bought as a guide camera. With the extender at F10 the FOV looks perfect for the conjunction. With this setup I’ll be able to use the ASIair’s video function and hopefully get a better image and image scale of the two planets than I would have with my canon, if it’s clear of course. It’ll be mono but I’ll accept the trade off. :) 

Edited by Scooot
  • Like 2

Same here :)  I love its simplicity (great for beginners like me), the interface is modern and intuitive. ZWO is also bringing new features regularly and closely listens to the customers. The only questionable thing is that it doesn't let you use non-ZWO hardware, but I can understand this is their commercial strategy!

Enjoy!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Space Oddities said:

Same here :)  I love its simplicity (great for beginners like me), the interface is modern and intuitive. ZWO is also bringing new features regularly and closely listens to the customers. The only questionable thing is that it doesn't let you use non-ZWO hardware, but I can understand this is their commercial strategy!

Enjoy!

I do use my Canon 450D with it which works well, but I guess you mean other hardware.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update: I have since purchased a cheap iPad Mini 2, which has only 1 Gb of RAM, to use specifically for astro. I haven't witnessed anything slow when using it with the ASIAIR. The app looks very lightweight and fluid, to be honest! Hopefully compatibility won't be an issue in the future, but so far so good!

The iPad itself isn't super fast, when you compare to today's standards, but that's quite normal for a device that's 7 or 8 years old!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Space Oddities said:

Update: I have since purchased a cheap iPad Mini 2, which has only 1 Gb of RAM, to use specifically for astro. I haven't witnessed anything slow when using it with the ASIAIR.

Interestingly, the ZWO spec for the ASIAir only mentions the RAM requirement for Android, not Apple. Good to know though.

Ian