Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Orion Nebula

Bought a scope last xmas and like many I had a look at the moon, didn't read up on Astronomy and it gathered dust. I recently watched a documentary called "Star Men" which renewed my interest, ordered Turn Left At Orion and bought another book entitled "The History Of Astronomy" from TKMAXX of all places (£5 bargain) and I'm back on track.

I had a look at the Orion Nebula last night for the first time which was incredible.

Just won an auction for a motor for my Bresser Messier R90 for the bargain price of £30 too, as I want to get into the photography side of things with a webcam. I'm using Stellarium.

I've only just started the books so give me time, but what else is there in our sky at the moment that's well worth a look?

On the area of Orion, I always spend time looking at the wider area, Beteguese for instance, the red(ish) star to the top left of orion. Have a look at it, then do a google search on it and look at what it is, the size etc, always facinates me. Sirius as well, do the same, then realise just how bright that star is. I know they are stars, but you start to realise the sheer size of what is out there.

Try taking a look at the Pleiades (M45) which is to the North West of orion. The Pleiades are a very young open star cluster which are visible to the naked eye in the constellation of Taurus. An impressive sight in any size of scope or binos.

Steve..

I've had a look at Pleiades a few times and always find it fascinating. I was reading briefly about this yesterday and how farmers in the Andes used it as a guide for when to plant their crops.

Its a stunning sight.

The Andromeda galaxy, the closest galaxy to the Milky way and easy to find.

I do get a bit upset by this misleading comment (not just by ZOG, but others as well). If you live anywhere with light pollution, M31 is NOT easy to find! In fact, it is nigh on impossible! If you're inside the M25, you wont have much chance of finding it unless you have GOTO or luck. It is completely washed out by LP. Even if you do find it, it will be little more than a grey smudge.

If you've got nice dark skies (i.e. Somerset countryside), then yes, it is easy. A naked eye object.

hmmmm, I'm well inside the M25 and can easily see M31 through 6" newt and 20x100 bins. Maybe there's a distinction between easy to find and easy to see. I recall finding it for the first time by starhopping was pretty hard cos it's not that near any bright star but once you've found it once it's easy to find again. seeing it (once you found it) is easy from north london.

sorry TheThing if I am being pedantic :(

I remember the excitement of finding and seeing Andromeda for the first time last year with my 10 x 50 binos which , once I knew where to look was actually easy to find and have found it everytime ever since , even though I agree with TheThing it is little more than a grey smudge even when I look at it now with my 12" Flextube.

My location is Harrow , well within the M25.

M31 can be a bit tricky to find. Once you have it nailed down the first time though it seems easier to get to. I find as long as I can make out the square of pegasus it can be worked out from there. Or you could just move to rural scotland, it worked for me. Travelling up the A9 the other month I stopped for a call of nature, it was -13 Celsius and M31 was visible to the naked eye, not just visible either, positively bright. The limiting mag must have been getting on for 7 judging by the multitude stars visible in the square.

Thanks for the low down on M31. Being a newby it is high on my list to see. I live in an area of very high LP and I spent 2-3 hours on Monday lookinig for it with no success. I knew from Stellarium the right area to be in but could not find it. Consolation was I got a great view the bOrion Nebula and was pleased to see all of the Trapezium.

Terry

Archived