Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sol in H-alpha 5th Dec 2020

vineyard

11 minutes ago, richard ashbee said:

very nice thanks for sharing, what scope / camera have you used for these

Hi Richard, thanks.  The camera is an ASI178MC, but I want to swap to an ASI178MM b/c I prefer lunar & solar to planets so the mono is better for that (more resolution than the colour).

For the solar bit, I now use a Solarscope SF-50 front-mounted etalon on a little widefield scope.  The SF-50 is amazing. I started with a Lunt 50 and enjoyed what that showed me - it was a great starter solar scope, but I found myself frustrated by its limitations.  Anything more than the SF-50 is unaffordable (for me anyway) - even the SF-50 was a b-i-g stretch involving lots of kit selling...but it has been absolutely worth it.

Cheers,

Vin

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Terrific images Vin. Another Solarscope lover here. Had to take a deep breath before investing but it’s been so worth it.

Thank you!  Yes re the deep breath...and yes too on it being worth it - every time I look at the sun through it, its just breathtaking.  Can't imagine what it'll be like through a DS setup (your feedback on your set was actually v helpful in nudging me!).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Luke said:

Very nice! I was close-ish to getting a solarscope at one point, I should have gone for it! I have very rarely regretted buying quality.

That's my experience too - quality holds value, and stuff like Solarscope etalons will always re-sell.  Never too late?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vineyard said:

That's my experience too - quality holds value, and stuff like Solarscope etalons will always re-sell.  Never too late?

Maybe one day! We would like to get something at some point to replace the Quarks. I'm out of work currently and any funds now would have to come from selling first. Not sure I have enough to flog currently that I could bear to let go! Maybe a Herschel wedge :D (we have three).

• 2 weeks later...