Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone succesfully used AA batteries witha goto mount?

I've read various accounts that batteries in an AltAz goto mount - like the Nexstar's are a no-no.

Which begs the question, why do the manufacturers even bother including the battery compartment?

I can appreciate that the lower voltage of NiMh cells could be an issue.

Has anyone used, say 8 x 2800mAh cells in one of these mounts?

Do they:

Not work at all?

Work for, say only an hour?

Work ok, but you're better off with a powertank anyway.

Hello "Jarndyce,"

Well, I've been using "Uniross" 2600 milliamp "D" size 1.2 volt "Nickel Metal Hydride" re-chargeable batteries (from B&Q) for the past two years on my HEQ5 motorised mount. These have lasted about a month - using them for about two hours, three of four times a month.

12016_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I've recently found these (at "Aldi's) monsters! 4,000 milliamp x 1.2 volt Nickel Metal Hydride re-chargeables. I haven't tried them yet however.

12017_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I have not got "GoTo" yet! so I would not know how much extra drain would be on the batteries.

I would think you could buy a set of re-chargeables and if they didn't perform, buy a "powertank." (The re-chargeables would always come in handy for a torch or radio etc.

Regards,

philsail1

Well I put the 3200ma batteries in when I got it - they are rechargeable Duracell ones. I also have some 4000ma ones I got online off ebay.

I put the 3200s in when I bought the scope a few months ago and although the scopes not exactly been used a huge amount ( aprt from my youngest whizzing it left and right occasionally ) they seem to be holding up.

I have a powertank as well for my 8" Netwonian on HEQ5 so I have that as a backup if the lil one needs some more go power.

Hi, I also wondered about using AA batteries, but I overcame the expense problem by using a 12ah golf trolley battery (lead acid type) to drive my Skywatcher 130P. If like mine the battery pack has a normal PSU plug fitted to it you can cut the lead of an old unit and connect ring terminals to the wires which then bolt on to the battery terminals, making sure you connect the wire with the white tracer mark to the positive terminal. If you look on ebay you can buy a 12ah battery for around £20.00, all you then need is to buy or improvise on making a carry case. By the way I have used this for about 5 hours and it does not yet need recharging. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Maurice.

When you deduct the price of the ni cads and charger from the price of a powertank, the resulting figure is very small and not worth the chance of the nicads going flat during a (admittedley rare) long observing session.

On an aside, a 12v burglar alarm jelly battery works well too.

hi

i've just bought a celestron 4se

& obviosly played with the controller

for several hours using std AA batteries

no problems whatsoever & batteries still

in use. i have a power supply for starting

my model helicopter but so far haven't

had to use it

does this answer the question?

regards

big aitch

Archived