SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

13mm ethos

Ken82

I Received a 13mm ethos the other day and thought I’d put it to the test. 

Not the best evening for it as the clouds were coming in thick and fast. But it was very clear the eyepiece was performing perfectly with a nice correction around the field without the additional coma corrector. 

Im not one to post detailed observing reports etc as work and having a young family really limit my time. But I would say having a set of ethos eyepieces has really changed my viewing experience. 

Ken 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Ken82 said:

10” bresser at the moment. But I also plan to use it a bit with my 85mm refractor once I get my imaging scope sorted. 

You’re in for a treat. One of my favourite astronomy memories was summer 2015, in rural Menorca, testing an Ethos 13mm for the first time in an 80mm ED refractor on the Double Cluster. Will never forget it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

You’re in for a treat. One of my favourite astronomy memories was summer 2015, in rural Menorca, testing an Ethos 13mm for the first time in an 80mm ED refractor on the Double Cluster. Will never forget it.

Yep - I had my Ethos 13 in my Tak FC100 last night looking at the clusters in Auriga. Fabulous :icon_biggrin:

7 hours ago, RickEm said:

The 13mm Ethos was my first one.  I liked it enough to later purchase the 21, 8, 6, 4.7 and 3.7.  I still have all of them.

You're missing the 10mm and 17mm.  The 10mm edges the 13mm in contrast, and the 17mm edges the 21mm in correction.

If I had a set of just 3, it would be the 17>>10>>6 troika.

If I added a 4th, it would be the 3.7mm

I had all eight for years, but recently astigmatism grew large enough to rule out the 13, 17, and 21mm in favor of longer eye relief eyepieces.

When I think about which one of those I miss most, it's the 17mm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Singlin said:

Which eyepieces did you get for your astigmatism Don?

I tried a scattershot approach to see which ones I liked enough to keep.

So far, and all seem to work fine with glasses, 

30mm APM UFF Like this eyepiece--can't say enough nice things about it.

22mm TeleVue Nagler Type 4--I previously owned one from 1998 to 2010, and it's as good as I remember.

17.5mm Baader Morpheus--now, how is such a cheap eyepiece this good?  It is fantastic.

14mm Baader Morpheus--some people report field curvature but in my f/5.75 (effective FL 1826mm) coma-corrected/field flattened dob, I just don't see it.  It is a duplicate performance of the 17.5mm, but with a couple mm less eye relief.

12.5mm APM Hi-FW 84°--this is a strange eyepiece, and I sent it off to a friend to try.  It works fine with glasses and is sharp enough, but......maybe it's the angular magnification distortion that bothers me, just like the Docter/Noblex.

11mm TeleVue Apollo--this one is amazing--too bad there won't be more focal lengths.

Magnifications yielded are:  61x, 83x, 104x, 130x, 146x, 166x, way too close together. I probably only need 3 of the 6, but which 3?  I'll figure it out.  In the meantime, I'm having fun comparing.

10mm down, I can get by without glasses.

One think I learned right away is that if you use eyepieces with large eye lenses (long eye relief, ultrawide fields), your glasses' rims will be in the field of view.  I ended up buying a pair of glasses with enormous lenses (1980's style) to use at the scope (and no, I won't post a picture--how in the world did any self-respecting person ever wear these in public where they could be seen?) to put the rims outside the field of view.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

how in the world did any self-respecting person ever wear these in public where they could be seen?

The same way they wore 6" wide ties, leisure suits, and any other of a large number of questionable fashion choices:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

Oooh......quite a trip down memory lane.  I remember huge bell-bottom pants, with the belt about 3" or more below your waist.  And "Earth" shoes.

LOL.

I'm younger than you, but even in my youth during the late 60s to early 80s I thought those fashions were hideous.

On 27/11/2020 at 19:03, Don Pensack said:

You're missing the 10mm and 17mm.  The 10mm edges the 13mm in contrast, and the 17mm edges the 21mm in correction.

If I had a set of just 3, it would be the 17>>10>>6 troika.

If I added a 4th, it would be the 3.7mm

I had all eight for years, but recently astigmatism grew large enough to rule out the 13, 17, and 21mm in favor of longer eye relief eyepieces.

When I think about which one of those I miss most, it's the 17mm.

I have a 10mm Delos from a previous scope.  I doubt the Ethos is better,  apart from the AFOV, Don.  I’ve never looked through the 17 Ethos.

I have owned all the Ethos eyepieces at one point apart from the 10mm. I still own the 21, 13, 8 and 6. I've found them all be of superb quality. The differences that Don mentions are very slight I suspect. I didn't really notice them to be honest.

Glad we got off the subject of dodgy 1970's fashion :rolleyes2:

• Haha 3

On 27/11/2020 at 23:27, Don Pensack said:

14mm Baader Morpheus--some people report field curvature but in my f/5.75 (effective FL 1826mm) coma-corrected/field flattened dob, I just don't see it.  It is a duplicate performance of the 17.5mm, but with a couple mm less eye relief.

Slightly off the OP topic but I have both the Morpheus 14mm and Pentax XW14 (and XW20) incoming this week, as I want to try both in my Bresser 10" f/5 dob and keep one in my main set. I've read so many conflicting reports about field curvature in one or the other or both and so decided to just get both and try them for myself, otherwise "analysis paralysis" will set in. I know the XW14 has it, but it's whether it will bother me or not 🤞

I've got the XW10, 7 and 30 already and would certainly be happy to maintain a set of XWs, but if the Morpheus beats it then (like you), I'm more than happy to have a mixed set. I'll also be looking at how they fare in my 80mm ED f/10 refractor and indeed how the XW14 compares against a TeleExtended XW30 (which I already love and it has less of the "bad" FC apparently). Will report my findings when I can in a separate thread.

Going back to the OP thread, I've only tried Nagler, DeLite (which are lovely) and Panoptics so far... not Ethos yet. For some reason I find that I don't get on with FoV around 80+ degrees (too much eye movement to take in the view), but I may get one some day and be blown away 🤔

Edited by HollyHound

17 hours ago, RickEm said:

I have a 10mm Delos from a previous scope.  I doubt the Ethos is better,  apart from the AFOV, Don.  I’ve never looked through the 17 Ethos.

No, it's not better.  The 10mm Delos is excellent.  No reason to get an Ethos, then.

• Thanks 1