NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Open mind and ears

Hello all.  Well after years of quiet subdued interest I've finally bought a telescope in readiness for my new retirement hobby.  Any advice and guidance would be gratefully received.

So, a couple of days ago I unpacked my new Celestron SE6... a telescope that I was advised to go for as it was significantly reduced as a black Friday purchase.. and in the view of my 'knowledgeable' brother was an ideal starter.  I have to say, I was impressed and found it reasonably straight forward to assemble and start using.  

I'm now at the point where I'm considering how to enhance the set-up.  I've read a bit that seems to point me towards getting a new eyepiece, and I'm considering the merits of a zoom.  I'm also considering a GPS, and have ordered a Powertank.  

I would also like to understand more regarding how I can interface with my computer.  I regularly use Apple equipment... MAC, iPhone and iPad, so compatibility with this would be welcome, but early reading seems to suggest that most of the support is aimed towards PC based equipment and software.  

I would appreciate any pointers that readers could provide.

Kind regards to all

Andy

• Like 1

Hi Andy, welcome to SGL. I can’t give you any advice on using your scope with your computer as I only do manual observing, but you will probably need to upgrade your eyepieces as the supplied ones are not normally very good. The BST Starguider eyepiece are highly thought of by a lot of our members and they are hard to beat for the price.

Thanks.  Appreciate the feedback. I assume the BST Starguider is a fixed eyepiece rather than a zoom.  I read somewhere that there are some advantages to getting a zoom as it saves with the costs of building up a variety of different sizes.  That said, if you were me and you were only getting one more eyepiece and you were going for a fixed, what size would you get.

Hi and welcome, sounds like a very nice scope 🙂

Zoom eyepieces are a compromise tho quite convenient as you can just adjust the magnification rather than swapping eyepieces back and forth. A single fixed eyepiece will generally perform better and at the lower power end give a wider field of view (zooms narrow at lower power). Not knowing what eyepieces you already have it's hard to recommend but in many cases the lower power one supplied will be usable and the higher power less good. So aiming to replace that one or get a different mag either in the middle of the 2 existing may be worthwhile, or an eve lower power one for wider views.

The standard eyepiece that came with the Scope was a Celestron 25mm PLOSSL.... if that means anything to anyone, which Im sure it does.

I did manage to get a view of the moon last evening which was great with impressive detail.. I thought.  But when I looked at Mars, it just seemed to be a little small in the viewer and a bit disappointing I have to say.  I concluded, that I would probably need a different lens.. hence the question. 

I've been looking at the Celestron 8-24mm zoom for 99 quid.  I'm not really sure if that is a bargain or a similar quality can be found with a different manufacturer .

Understand the point re FOV advantages of fixed... but still not really sure what size would be best suited.

5 hours ago, And_yB said:

I would also like to understand more regarding how I can interface with my computer.  I regularly use Apple equipment... MAC, iPhone and iPad, so compatibility with this would be welcome, but early reading seems to suggest that most of the support is aimed towards PC based equipment and software.

Hi Andy and welcome.

You can use Stellarium program with your Mac and its free:

http://stellarium.org

You will have to configure Stellarium for your scope.

Once you have aligned, plug in usb cable from hand control to computer. Then use Stellarium to click on target and scope will slew to it.

Other programs at cost are SkySafari plus or Pro found on Apple Store.

1 hour ago, And_yB said:

Thanks.  Appreciate the feedback. I assume the BST Starguider is a fixed eyepiece rather than a zoom.  I read somewhere that there are some advantages to getting a zoom as it saves with the costs of building up a variety of different sizes.  That said, if you were me and you were only getting one more eyepiece and you were going for a fixed, what size would you get.

Zoom eyepieces are very convenient to gauge what magnification is best for your target but fixed eyepieces usually give better wide field images. My most used eyepieces are 6, 12 and 16.

PS, SvBony do 3 types of zoom eyepieces which are very reasonably priced.

Edited by banjaxed

As Banjaxed says, the Svbony range are good and were on a discount if you go direct to their store via Ali at around USD49. I have the SV135 (7-21) and SV171 (8-24) and both give nice views. Since you already have the 25mm Plossl then perhaps the 7-21mm would be a good choice as you'll have the 25mm for wider view when initially getting onto the target. Best to check what mag that'll give based on the focal length of your scope, if I'm right that'd get you up to x214.

Another option are the Baader zoom and also the Hyperflex 7-21 which are well regarded here.

42 minutes ago, Mick H said:

Hi Andy and welcome.

Once you have aligned, plug in usb cable from hand control to computer. Then use Stellarium to click on target and scope will slew to it.

Thanks Mick... very useful.  I will check those programs out.

36 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

Zoom eyepieces are very convenient to gauge what magnification is best for your target but fixed eyepieces usually give better wide field images. My most used eyepieces are 6, 12 and 16.

PS, SvBony do 3 types of zoom eyepieces which are very reasonably priced.

Thanks.  I will have a look at those

23 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

As Banjaxed says, the Svbony range are good and were on a discount if you go direct to their store via Ali at around USD49. I have the SV135 (7-21) and SV171 (8-24) and both give nice views. Since you already have the 25mm Plossl then perhaps the 7-21mm would be a good choice as you'll have the 25mm for wider view when initially getting onto the target. Best to check what mag that'll give based on the focal length of your scope, if I'm right that'd get you up to x214.

Another option are the Baader zoom and also the Hyperflex 7-21 which are well regarded here.

Another very useful reply.  Thanks Dave... and others for your help.  I can now focus (ex pun) my research a bit better.  :)

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Mick H said:

Hi Andy and welcome.

Mick, are these programs that are paid for much better than the free one.  Do you use one with a Mac and if so which one.  I also note in the Celestron documentation that it is possible to update the software of the hand controller through this USB connection.  Is that also possible through these programs. 

Apologies for asking so many questions... I guess I'm being a bit lazy, and I should just read a lot more :)

On the eyepieces, the SVbony ones are so cheap you could buy one just to figure out your most useful FLs, then buy better/premium fixed ones for those "spots". You could then either keep the SVbony as a grab-and-go when you don't want to mess around or sell it on. It suffers from a narrower FOV at the longer end but you already have a 25mm that will do that end a bit better. I have the SVbony 7-21 and the Hyperflex 7.2-21.5 and they are both handy and pretty good, especially for the price.

EDIT: the Ebay link above is the seller I used for mine and I can recommend them.

EDIT 2: The Hyperflex is currently in stock at FLO, https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ovl-eyepieces/hyperflex-72mm-215mm-eyepiece.html

Edited by wulfrun
added info

7 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

On the eyepieces, the SVbony ones are so cheap you could buy one just to figure out your most useful FLs, then buy better/premium fixed ones for those "spots". You could then either keep the SVbony as a grab-and-go when you don't want to mess around or sell it on. It suffers from a narrower FOV at the longer end but you already have a 25mm that will do that end a bit better. I have the SVbony 7-21 and the Hyperflex 7.2-21.5 and they are both handy and pretty good, especially for the price.

EDIT: the Ebay link above is the seller I used for mine and I can recommend them.

Good idea.  I like that.  Thanks

Incidentally... my wife is 'asking' whether the PowerTank was absolutely necessary, as it was not cheap.  Someone please tell me, and her, that it was essential.  My life would be made so much easier.... ;)  

2 minutes ago, And_yB said:

Incidentally... my wife is 'asking' whether the PowerTank was absolutely necessary, as it was not cheap.  Someone please tell me, and her, that it was essential.  My life would be made so much easier.... ;)  

well in the long run, cheaper than replacing regular batteries frequently as the mount drains them 😉 

I guess a bungee cord to use it as a weight under the tripod to add stability, oh and it had a torch 😄 

Mars is always very small as its diameter is only twice the Moon’s in absolute terms and of course it is much further away. Despite that, on a good night you can still pick out dark regions like Syrtis Major, the bright spot of a polar cap and even hints of clouds at the limb. It does take patience and careful observing though. 

I also have a 150 mm SCT and one accessory has been very good for me - a 6.3 reducer that reduces focal length to 945 mm and lets the scope show much wider fields.

I used to have a Celestron 25 mm plossl and it was a very pleasing eyepiece.

10 minutes ago, Ags said:

Mars is always very small as its diameter is only twice the Moon’s in absolute terms and of course it is much further away. Despite that, on a good night you can still pick out dark regions like Syrtis Major, the bright spot of a polar cap and even hints of clouds at the limb. It does take patience and careful observing though. 

I also have a 150 mm SCT and one accessory has been very good for me - a 6.3 reducer that reduces focal length to 945 mm and lets the scope show much wider fields.

I used to have a Celestron 25 mm plossl and it was a very pleasing eyepiece.

Interesting.  Thanks Agnes for your advice.  It's appreciated.  I will have to do a bit more reading with regard to reducers.   I am drinking a bit from a fire-hose of info at the moment.  Very enthused though... so much to learn :)

2 hours ago, And_yB said:

Mick, are these programs that are paid for much better than the free one.  Do you use one with a Mac and if so which one.  I also note in the Celestron documentation that it is possible to update the software of the hand controller through this USB connection.  Is that also possible through these programs. 

Apologies for asking so many questions... I guess I'm being a bit lazy, and I should just read a lot more :)

The paid programs are very good, I use Safari Pro on the Mac but also have Stellarium.

To be honest I find myself using Stellarium more, if I were you I would start with Stellarium first before paying out.

You can update the hand control firmware by downloading CFM (Celestron Firmware Manger) here:

https://www.celestron.com/pages/drivers-and-software

Be very careful what you are doing, a good resource on how to is found here by Mike Swanson:

https://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/HCFirmwareUpgradeHowToNexStarPlus.htm

Edit: And no need for apologies, we all have to start somewhere with Astronomy.

Edited by Mick H

My advice generally is to keep things as simple as possible. Our weather in the UK is challenging for astronomy so, unless you can leave your scope permanently set up in an observatory type structure, you need to keep the set up and tear down times quite short and without undue complexity.

I have a number of scopes from 100mm to 300mm in aperture and any of them can be setup or taken in within a few minutes. I don't have an observatory and the scopes live in the house so I've kept the setups as simple as possible and therefore all the scopes get used frequently.

There is nothing more frustrating than spending a fair amount of time setting up mount, software, IT and getting the scope cooled, only to find that clouds are threatening and it all has to come in again :rolleyes2:

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, John said:

My advice generally is to keep things as simple as possible. Our weather in the UK is challenging for astronomy so, unless you can leave your scope permanently set up in an observatory type structure, you need to keep the set up and tear down times quite short and without undue complexity.

I have a number of scopes from 100mm to 300mm in aperture and any of them can be setup or taken in within a few minutes. I don't have an observatory and the scopes live in the house so I've kept the setups as simple as possible and therefore all the scopes get used frequently.

There is nothing more frustrating than spending a fair amount of time setting up mount, software, IT and getting the scope cooled, only to find that clouds are threatening and it all has to come in again :rolleyes2:

Understand your advice John, and thank you for it.   Not wanting to sound in any way smug though but, I  fortunately will soon be retiring to my house in the mountains of Eastern Spain, where the sky is clear most nights and that any light pollution will have been caused by... well, me :)    

Also, I have a very secure and stable patio to set up on , plenty of room to rest my wine, and will be able to sleep during the day.   Hence my astronomy hobby choice.... I can't wait to get started.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, And_yB said:

Understand your advice John, and thank you for it.   Not wanting to sound in any way smug though but, I  fortunately will soon be retiring to my house in the mountains of Eastern Spain, where the sky is clear most nights and that any light pollution will have been caused by... well, me :)    

Also, I have a very secure and stable patio to set up on , plenty of room to rest my wine, and will be able to sleep during the day.   Hence my astronomy hobby choice.... I can't wait to get started.

Sounds wonderful :smiley:

If that was me I'd have a very large dobsonian telescope and spend happy hours exploring the deepest of deep sky targets :smiley:

Edited by John