Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SynScan acting crazy

Hi there folks, I bought a synscan v4 a week ago. Since then, Ive tried it many times yet failed every single time, I've put latitude and longitude, time and daylight savings time, after a few tries I realized DST is supposed to be off and that is when polar clock became accurate. However even sometimes synscan points at the ground when I chose the moon, it just acts crazy. I have no clue what to do anymore.  

Have you checked the data you are entering as that can really mess with its head. The app Synscaninit 2 will display the exact data in the format the handset is expecting which makes it so much easier. Another common error is the date as its yankee format mm/dd/yy rather than the more usual dd/mm/yy.

Just now, DaveL59 said:

Have you checked the data you are entering as that can really mess with its head. The app Synscaninit 2 will display the exact data in the format the handset is expecting which makes it so much easier. Another common error is the date as its yankee format mm/dd/yy rather than the more usual dd/mm/yy.

I have yeah, the format is 11/25/2020 (mm/dd/yyyy). 

7 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

worth posting the details of what scope and mount you are using.

If it's an equatorial then I assume you've got the RA axis aimed north and then set the scope to the home position before starting the alignment routine?

I have an EQ5 200/1000. At first I did have RA axis pointed at north, but seeing as that had no effect I was testing different positions, though I'm not sure what home position means exactly so I wouldn't know how to answer that one.

39 minutes ago, ddm4313 said:

Hi there folks, I bought a synscan v4 a week ago. Since then, Ive tried it many times yet failed every single time, I've put latitude and longitude, time and daylight savings time, after a few tries I realized DST is supposed to be off and that is when polar clock became accurate. However even sometimes synscan points at the ground when I chose the moon, it just acts crazy. I have no clue what to do anymore.  

What are you using to power the mount ?

Just now, ddm4313 said:

I have an EQ5 200/1000. At first I did have RA axis pointed at north, but seeing as that had no effect I was testing different positions, though I'm not sure what home position means exactly so I wouldn't know how to answer that one.

The mount must start at the correct home position for it to work correctly. Counter weight bar pointing straight down, telescope pointing at the north celestial pole.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The mount must start at the correct home position for it to work correctly. Counter weight bar pointing straight down, telescope pointing at the north celestial pole.

Alright, maybe that was the issue, i'll test again tomorrow.

I take it you are doing a 1 or 2 star alignment?...sounds a daft question but if you’re not correctly star aligned Synscan won’t render the sky in the software correctly. As best you can, learn the alignment stars (google Synscan alignment stars) and where they are so you know the best ones to choose when you start alignment 

This video may help with setup of the home position and polar alignment.

When you have the home position set, use a Sharpie and put a line on the RA & DEC axis so you can move them back to the home position without having to level everything again. ;)