NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finder scope disassembly??

PeterW

Any idea how the back part of the typical 9c50 finder scope is held in... ?? I have one and a “50mm guide scope” that is the same with an open back. I was to repurpose these, but I need to remove the back section. Tried to unscrew... nothing budged, could be glued? I’d prefer not to get a saw out in case I want to return them to their original form. Ideas??

Peter

Hmmm... the 9x50 version unscrews nicely with finger tips.... the 50mm guider version won’t shift even with bits of rubber wrapped round the tube to help grip. Might even have gently used whacked it too. Right I’ll put the kettle in... to heat the end... a cup of tea will follow, especially if nothing moves!

Peter

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 21:05, PeterW said:

Hmmm... the 9x50 version unscrews nicely with finger tips.... the 50mm guider version won’t shift even with bits of rubber wrapped round the tube to help grip. Might even have gently used whacked it too. Right I’ll put the kettle in... to heat the end... a cup of tea will follow, especially if nothing moves!

Peter

Peter,

How did you go on with this? a success or more drastic measures?

Andy

Hot water resulted in a damp finder and nice cup of tea. It seems the normal ones unscrew fine, the CCD guider one has a very stubborn block at the back that doesn’t work any to move. I’ll have. Second finder one soon, so I can ignore the guider one. Then I can continue my experiments. It maybe that a hacksaw may have to be involved... though only if there proves to be sufficient space for the diagonals I want to use. Then it’s an ATM project, not a disassembly.

Peter

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Hot water resulted in a damp finder and nice cup of tea. It seems the normal ones unscrew fine, the CCD guider one has a very stubborn block at the back that doesn’t work any to move. I’ll have. Second finder one soon, so I can ignore the guider one. Then I can continue my experiments. It maybe that a hacksaw may have to be involved... though only if there proves to be sufficient space for the diagonals I want to use. Then it’s an ATM project, not a disassembly.

Peter

Peter,

Have you a photo of it

Andy