NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Deep Sky Stacker stacking problem

Oisinmcc16

On 23/11/2020 at 05:19, wxsatuser said:

Most likely because the stars are not round, your stars are slightly elongated, corner ones have coma.

DSS needs to find at least 8 good stars common to each of the frames.

Thanks for the reply, is there any way I can account for the coma, and I assume that the stars being elongated is due to a too long exposure time.

I don't think your stars are that bad. 

Not sure what your star detection threshold is set at but when I put your jpeg though DSS with a threshold setting of 32, it finds 85 stars which is more than enough for stacking.

1290644610_stardetection.jpg.2da34f1efc7422ab2144938b92723c11.jpg

The trees may present more of a problem though.

Having done similar stuff myself and finding DSS doesn't like a quarter of the stars missing due to trees then I'd do what happy-kat suggests. One thing of note though, Sequator only works under Windows but not only is it very accurate it's also lightening fast.

Other than that then you can still use Sequator on a full starry image or follow the clues left by the others re the DSS problems you have.

Dave.

Edited by davew