NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Desperately need help/advice w/broken new scope

It is possible that these smaller FF focusers are only intended to be rotated and then locked in place with the screws provided.

Both my 2.5" and 3.5" FF focusers rotate freely and securely but without any play. They are cleverly designed to do so.

I can clearly see a location groove in the images the OP provided.

If this is just a matter of three screws having worked loose in the post, or were never tightened properly, then no "repair" is needed.

It just needs to be re-assembled correctly. Though I would certainly email FF and Lunt for their expert advice.

And, as a formal notification of the problems the OP has experienced. One even wonders whether customs have "fiddled with it" en-route?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ricochet said:

I don't think this is the case. I've just had a play with mine and I can't find any tension level where the focuser can rotate and be securely held. If I slacken the screws to rotate the focuser it can fall off. 

Does anyone have one of these focusers where the focuser both rotates and is held securely simultaneously? 

The Baader focuser I have has the same attachment method, if I have the grub screws too tight it squeaks when rotated, and has a seperate lock screw to hold the rotation.  Most Moonlite focusers have the same rotation/connection flanges too, but being moonlite the flanges are more substantial.

See what Starlight say first, and if required I get ready to send a picture of the flange as I can see a tiny chip in the edge where it has come off.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

See what Starlight say first, and if required I get ready to send a picture of the flange as I can see a tiny chip in the edge where it has come off.

I'm not the op, but having looked at my focuser I don't think that is a chip where the focuser has come off, it's where the grub screws hit when you tighten them. In the last photo there is another mark about 120° from the one on the underside. The proportions are just slightly off for the screws to sit properly in the groove and allow rotation. Perhaps it is a design/production fault with this model focuser or the adaptor. 

9 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

I'm not the op, but having looked at my focuser I don't think that is a chip where the focuser has come off, it's where the grub screws hit when you tighten them. In the last photo there is another mark about 120° from the one on the underside. The proportions are just slightly off for the screws to sit properly in the groove and allow rotation. Perhaps it is a design/production fault with this model focuser or the adaptor. 

Hopefully, from what the OP has said the 3 grub screws are now in place and the focuser stays on and can freely rotate. It would seem he has an additional issue with the focus tube slipping which needs to be set properly as well.