Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Casita Observatory build

Hals

On 09/12/2020 at 07:17, AstroNebulee said:

Thanks Pete 

That's great information, my eq3-2 mount is 60mm also, so I shall be purchasing this one as most I've seen are 62mm. Hoped I can use my works pillar drill to drill my holes. Thanks afain clear skies 

On 08/12/2020 at 23:51, Hals said:

Lee, the brake disc I got was from Ebay, specifically the PAGID LD10381 P. Only £16 for a pair (you can't get them singly). I don't know if they'll fit the EQ3-2, you'll need to measure the diameter of the recess on the tripod where the mount head sits. These were 60mm if I remember correctly. Drilling was easy, but I did it using the pillar drill at work with lubrication, using a hand drill would be do-able but a bit trickier.

Hope this helps,

Pete.

£16? More like £60! https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=PAGID+LD10381+P&_sacat=0

How hard are they to drill through, Pete? Same question for the concrete blocks. I have no garden so I need to bond the bottom block to a heavy, concrete 450 x 450 slab. You're not threading holes too are you? Just 3 or 4 bolts (what size?) through the holes in the blocks and through the discs, am I right? Then a centre hole in the block to feed through the centre bolt of your Skywatcher tripod?

gallery_4393_3297_647862.jpg

If it's any help i went to a local Steel Fabricator who had a Laser CNC he cut 2 x 10mm and 2 x 12mm out of spare plate cost me £30.

I just done a rough drawing with the sizes.

Sorry about the big Picture.

Edited by Seme
Pic to big

52 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

Keep shopping, there are likely different discs that fit - I bought this a month ago for an eq6:

Screenshot_2023-03-29-22-15-50-57_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg.5ec63d2c6884233e7095aa1eaa9893df.jpg

(it was free postage, despite what it says) 

I've actually just decided to use my Skywatcher tripod head fixed to the top block.

I'm glad this thread was resurrected @Hals Your observatory looks like a good solid build. It was a good read! 

My only comment would be that two more diagonal braces on the end roll off support section, at right angles to the two you have, to prevent sideways movement might be a good idea.

Regards

Graeme