Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Casita Observatory build

Hals

Regarding the roof run off beams, I did originally intend to sit them lower than the shed wall tops but it looks like too much of a faff to do. I'll take the easier option of sitting them on top of the wall tops. Roof will be higher with a larger gap but hey ho.

Interesting project...

I did similar using a tin shed. The wall height  did restrict the views but with all the surrounding houses etc etc it was not a real issue.

When I moved to St Leonards I inherited a 6 x 3 mtr workshop. Decided to remove the roof over half and run it back over the existing section.

The pier I had was extending by welding and adding a "Titantic anchor!!" extension piece to bring the telescope closer to the the wall height.

It's been is use now for almost four years - no issues no drama other than due to the mount height visual observing is very (very!) difficult and everything is now controlled "semi-remotely"

TSO_100_0873.jpg

TSO2_03.jpg

TSO2_05.jpg

mainsail obs 002.JPG

mainsail obs 006.JPG

Mainsail Obs2 005s.jpg

Mainsail Obs 001s.jpg

Mainsail Obs 012s.jpg

Edited by Merlin66
  • Like 3

Roll off beams in place! Test fitted the roof frame, fits and slides very nicely. Still got to sort the guide rails, finish and felt the roof and fill the roof side gaps. Feels like an Obsy now! 

IMG_20201117_131112978_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201117_131406389_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201117_144006699.jpg

IMG_20201117_144013657.jpg

IMG_20201117_144203706.jpg

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Looking lovely, not easy building an obsy. What are you going to name it at the naming ceremony? 

Cheers, I'm going to call it The Casita Observatory.

95% complete 👍 Apologies for the lack of build photos I had some dodgy weather and limited time so cracked on with it. Roof is held in place with x4 angled turnbuckles but I'm going to replace them with heavier duty ones as soon as I can. Need to sort some paint too yet. I'll put some more pictures on in due course. Just need to get the gear inside and set up and wait for first light. Wahey !!! I' ve got an observatory at last.

IMG_20201121_094503824.jpg

IMG_20201121_094948067_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201121_094343523_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201121_094330514_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201121_094258548_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by Hals
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Hals said:

95% complete 👍 Apologies for the lack of build photos I had some dodgy weather and limited time so cracked on with it. Roof is held in place with x4 angled turnbuckles but I'm going to replace them with heavier duty ones as soon as I can. Need to sort some paint too yet. I'll put some more pictures on in due course. Just need to get the gear inside and set up and wait for first light. Wahey !!! I' ve got an observatory at last.

IMG_20201121_094503824.jpg

IMG_20201121_094948067_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201121_094343523_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201121_094330514_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201121_094258548_HDR~2.jpg

Very impressive with the speed of your observatory build, its looking great. Every astronomers dream their own observatory have fun and clear skies 🌌📷🔭

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely build. I'd get a security bar that goes straight across the door, those latches are easily snapped off with a little force. I had a RoR broken into while on holiday several years ago with three latches and pad locks. They took my 12inch SCT at the time and never recovered. 

Edited by Nigella Bryant
More comment added
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Lovely build. I'd get a security bar that goes straight across the door, those latches are easily snapped off with a little force. I had a RoR broken into while on holiday several years ago with three latches and pad locks. They took my 12inch SCT at the time and never recovered. 

Security bars are on my to do list 👍

• Like 1

First light from the newly built Casita Observatory. NGC 1499 The California Nebula, 20 x 120 sec unguided subs, had problems with my guide cam plus I didn't frame it properly. Just wanted to get something in the bag!

Then a pair of old favourites, M81 & 82. 10 x 300 sec subs, guide camera sorted by this point.

Both with WO Star 71 II & unmodded Canon 80D DSLR. Altair Quad-band filter.

What a revelation not having to lug all the gear and set up, take down, not having the cold wind at your back, shaded from all the lights etc.

NGC 1499 MERGED.jpg

M81 and M82 crop.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

Fantastic build and great write up. 

Cheers Terry. I'll add a few more pics once I've tidied it up a bit and beefed up security etc. I've really enjoyed doing it, definitely one of those "why didn't I do this sooner" moments.

Amazing work and great to see some fantastic images for your guiding issues to get something, I'd be ecstatic with them, will look forward to more great images from your observatory. It must be so good to not need to move anything into the garden and set up, plus stay in the warm as you said. Clear skies 🔭📷🌌

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LeeHore7 said:

Amazing work and great to see some fantastic images for your guiding issues to get something, I'd be ecstatic with them, will look forward to more great images from your observatory. It must be so good to not need to move anything into the garden and set up, plus stay in the warm as you said. Clear skies 🔭📷🌌

Cheers Lee. The warm was relative, it still got pretty cold last night. Just keeping the wind off makes a world of difference.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hals said:

Cheers Lee. The warm was relative, it still got pretty cold last night. Just keeping the wind off makes a world of difference

Yes the chill wind when I'm using my dslr outside isn't good, so with you having your observatory to shield you does make it so much better, enjoy, clear skies 🌌📷🔭

• Thanks 1

I've now fitted an extension to my Todmorden pier so that I have a better Southern view. Many thanks to David B (@Skipper Billy) for pointing me towards it on FLO clearance. I've also beefed up the security considerably, details of which I won't elaborate on for obvious reasons. I will have to do a custom park now as the roof won't clear the scope in the usual home position. Again it's waiting for a clear sky to re-polar align then off we go 👍

IMG_20201129_141457721.jpg

Edited by Hals
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some paint on, and internally fitted a tube heater and a fan to keep the air moving. There's decent air flow in due to the roll off design but more moving air will help with condensation. Of which I have had only a little, on the mount metal. I keep everything covered on a cotton sheet too. So far so good, even after a few torrential downpours. Electrics are running off an outdoor extension lead to a dry box for now.

IMG_20201208_142325517_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201208_142349394_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201208_142202323.jpg

Edited by Hals
  • Like 3

On 30/10/2020 at 20:44, Hals said:

It's going to be nothing fancy but I'll finally have an observatory. It will be a lift off roof initially but I will convert it to a roll off next spring when the weather turns. Started on the pier, I've gone for a Todmorden pier on cost grounds. Purchased the blocks, dug out the base and concreted in. Built the pier, fixed with bolts and adhesive. It's as solid as a rock. Next step is to fit the pier adapter, brake disc type for my HEQ5, after I've drilled out bolt holes in it. The paving slab is only there because I was using it to stand on as the garden was soaked after a lot of rain. Pier faces North with the picture facing South. I have good views all around apart from some trees in the South which can't be helped.

Cheers, Pete.

IMG_20201030_131816240_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201030_132232583_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201030_143749177.jpg

IMG_20201030_143800996_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201030_150048519.jpg

IMG_20201030_150031738.jpg

Hi hals 

I'm going to try and build a Todmorden pier in the communal area behind my flat of I get permission from my housing provider. I'd like to know which brake disc did you use for your mount and would this brake disc fit my eq3-2 mount and was it easy drilling the holes in the disc, sorry for all the questions but not seen any reference anywhere for mine. 

Clear skies 

Lee, the brake disc I got was from Ebay, specifically the PAGID LD10381 P. Only £16 for a pair (you can't get them singly). I don't know if they'll fit the EQ3-2, you'll need to measure the diameter of the recess on the tripod where the mount head sits. These were 60mm if I remember correctly. Drilling was easy, but I did it using the pillar drill at work with lubrication, using a hand drill would be do-able but a bit trickier.

Hope this helps,

Pete.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hals said:

Lee, the brake disc I got was from Ebay, specifically the PAGID LD10381 P. Only £16 for a pair (you can't get them singly). I don't know if they'll fit the EQ3-2, you'll need to measure the diameter of the recess on the tripod where the mount head sits. These were 60mm if I remember correctly. Drilling was easy, but I did it using the pillar drill at work with lubrication, using a hand drill would be do-able but a bit trickier.

Hope this helps,

Pete.

Thanks Pete 

That's great information, my eq3-2 mount is 60mm also, so I shall be purchasing this one as most I've seen are 62mm. Hoped I can use my works pillar drill to drill my holes. Thanks afain clear skies 

• Like 1