Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ASTAP as a Plate Solver in SG Pro anyone?

fwm891

I've been using Plate Solve II in SG Pro for quite a while and found recently I've been getting a lot of failed solves. There are other options in SG Pro like ASTAP which has some more encouraging reviews lately.

Anyone using ASTAP in SG Pro? any pitfalls to look out for?

I've downloaded ASTAP and it's G17 catalogue.

Thanks

I use it with SGPro .. have had no issues with it and it is much faster than Platesolve II and works fast even if the scope is pointed some way away from where it thinks it is.. when Platesolve would revert to Blind Solving for ages then fail 

I use ASTAP with SGP now, and it's much better than PS2 when your slews have missed the target by more than half a degree or so. If PS2 finds it in its first region of search it's a similar time to ASTAP, but ASTAP seems to solve in a couple of seconds even if you're several degrees away from the target. For the same error PS2 would take several minutes at best. I had PS2 set up to abort and blind solve if it didn't solve after about 10 regions. The only time ASTAP fails to solve and reverts to blind solving is when I leave the cap on. 😁

Alan 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Glad to find this topic... going to make the switch now :)

My only issue with PS2 was that my initial solve almost always fails (100 search limit) and falls back to online solver, which last night was offline!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 26/04/2021 at 19:24, Horwig said:

I'm still using V2 (2.7.0) of SGPro, is ASTAP compatible with it, or only V3 and 4?

Before the later versions of SGP which have ASTAP as an option in the Platesolving setup, there was a section on hnsky's website on using ASTAP with SGP and making SGP think it was using Platesolve 2 when it was actually using ASTAP, as the command line parameters are the same for both.

Found it. Here's the relevant section in the documentation. I used to use this method and it works. 😀

Alan

Edited by symmetal

On 03/05/2021 at 23:49, symmetal said:

I used to use this method and it works. 😀

Alan

Thanks Alan, I found that section on hnsky's website and tried it, yes it does work, and work very well indeed.

Thanks

Huw