Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter and Saturn

beka

Hi All,

I took the following images of Jupiter and Saturn with my CPC 1100 scope and my NexImage planetary imager (old no. 93712 640 x 480 model). Seeing was generally bad with the planet dancing all over the place but there were brief sharp moments. I took about 10000 frames at 15 fps. using oacapture.  When I first tried to stack using AS!3 (AutoStakkert 3) using Wine on Linux, I found that it would not open compressed AVI files so after some Google searches and reading through forums, I found that I could use ffmpeg to convert the AVI file to a series of jpg images. Unfortunately AS!3 crashed when I tried opening maybe 100 or so images, but I later found I could convert the compressed AVI to uncompressed AVI which it opened and stacked (with basically just the default settings and about 25% of the frames) without problems, I deconvoluted with rawtherapee ,and finally used the unsharp mask of Gimp a little. While I am not unhappy with the results I think I could have done better had I used my Bahtinov mask for focusing and initially captured to an uncompressed AVI.

Thanks for looking!

oaCapture-20201011-203037_lapl5_ap124-deconv-2-sharpened.jpg

oaCapture-20201011-195121_lapl5_ap272-deconv-sharpened.jpg

Edited by beka
Small addition.
  • Like 10

I played with the curves for Saturn a little in Gimp to bring out the cloud bands. I think the Encke gap is not a processing artifact - I believe that I had seen it visually at 400X some time back. 

Best!

oaCapture-20201011-203037_lapl5_ap124-deconv-2-1-curves-sharpened.jpg

Edited by beka
Grammar

O

2 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Nice images, well done.  Both have a pinkish/orange tone on my screen, how do you see them?

Yes same on my phone, but it did not seem so on my laptop. I will try to improve them.

• Like 2

On 16/10/2020 at 20:52, beka said:

O

Yes same on my phone, but it did not seem so on my laptop. I will try to improve them.

Well now I can see that while the colors on my laptop are faded as compared to my Samsung phone, they actually do appear pink here as well. I adjusted the color curves with Gimp and I think they are improved.

jupiter-20201011.jpg

saturn.jpg

• Like 2