Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Brief planetary viewing session

Barry-W-Fenner

Hi all,

The sky was unexpectedly clear here last night much to my surprise, I quickly set up the 200p about 8.30pm for some views of Jupiter & Saturn. Both looked pretty poor at medium power, jupiter in particular,  it really is a gentle giant and needs the right power and seeing to bring out the subtle details doesn't it..

Saturn had a few moments where the seeing improved and showed some good views of the cassini division and a grey band around the planet itself. I am really enjoying the current angle or the rings, You can Kind of see a 3d effect with them wrapping around the body of the planet. 

After about an hours viewing I decided to be tactical. I hit the hay quite early and dragged myself out of bed at 2am to view a nicely positioned Mars!

I put the 9mm Morph in and watched Mars drift through the field at x133 - as enjoyable as this was the detail was quite poor. I decided to get the Baader neo filter out to see if I could improve the details.  To my surprise it wasn't in the case, I had actually left it on the 9mm Morpheus from my previous viewing session. I removed the filter and the detail which then showed was much improved,  the polar cap was small but clear and present, the grey detail on the planets face had a clear v shape running through it. Some brilliant details to be seen in this planet, I hope to get more observing time on it.  I was quite surprised how lacking the view was with the Baader Neo filter installed, I had read that it was a useful tool to use particularly on Mars.

I had been viewing for about and hour now and I must say I was absolutely freezing, the cold doesn't usually effect me much but for some reason I was struggling a bit!  Any advise on some decent thermal clothing for the colder months appreciated chaps!! 😊

A final hunt for Uranus and then I was going to hit the hay again to try and warm up!

I found Uranus with relative ease which was encouraging, I haven't looked at Uranus since around this time last year. I really enjoy viewing this planet the tiny green dics just drifts through the field, its wonderful to know how far away in out system Uranus is.

A very quick look at the the seven sisters to round things off.

4 planets over the space of one night was a nice way to spend a couple of hours observing, it was a much needed fix after about 3-4 weeks of no time at the eye piece!

Cheers all.

Baz

Edited by Barry-W-Fenner
  • Like 13

36 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

was quite surprised how lacking the view was with the Baader Neo filter installed

Nice report Baz, have you tried the Baader Contrast Booster. I’ve use one on Mars, like you, with a 9mm Morpheus (and the 6.5mm) and found that it did make the darker features of the planet stand out a bit

Also, have a go at Neptune, smaller that Uranus but I think it shows better colour

Edited by Jiggy 67
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jiggy 67 said:

Nice report Baz, have you tried the Baader Contrast Booster. I’ve use one on Mars, like you, with a 9mm Morpheus (and the 6.5mm) and found that it did make the darker features of the planet stand out a bit

Also, have a go at Neptune, smaller that Uranus but I think it shows better colour

Hi Jiggy,

I haven't got a contrast booster. I have read mixed opinions of it on here with it adding a yellow tint to the view? However it does sound like it improved your views of Mars!

I still haven't managed to see Neptune yet! Its the final planet to observe for me then I have complete the set! I am hoping to view it on one of my next viewing sessions now it's getting dark again.

How are you finding the Morpheus set? Have you had much time with the 4.5 & 17.5mm?

How does the 12.5 compare with the 14? I have the 14 am am not sure if I should aquire the 12.5 also as they are very close in power.

8 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Hi Jiggy,

I haven't got a contrast booster. I have read mixed opinions of it on here with it adding a yellow tint to the view? However it does sound like it improved your views of Mars!

I still haven't managed to see Neptune yet! Its the final planet to observe for me then I have complete the set! I am hoping to view it on one of my next viewing sessions now it's getting dark again.

How are you finding the Morpheus set? Have you had much time with the 4.5 & 17.5mm?

How does the 12.5 compare with the 14? I have the 14 am am not sure if I should aquire the 12.5 also as they are very close in power.

I haven’t found any yellow tinge with the contras booster, not that I’ve noticed, I have found it to improve all the planets, not just Mars which is what it’s best known for.

I love the Morpheus range, I’ve got them all now and really can’t see any reason to spend more money on more expensive ep’s. I find the 17.5 and 14 to provide excellent wide field and immersive views with excellent contrast and pin sharp stars, great for open clusters, all being well with collimation. You’re right, the 12.5 is probably the least useful for the reason you’ve stated, I admit, I could do without it....but I just couldn’t leave one out of the set 😂 The 4.5 is good for planets and planetary nebula as you still have the wide fov but I do use a Vixen SLV 4mm to get right into the planets 

Overall, I’m very impressed with the Morpheus, they are a mid price ep that perform as well as their more expensive contemporaries although I am far from being an expert...... I wouldn’t want to comment on exit pupil etc 🤥 

Neptune is a lovely planet and is pretty well placed at the moment so go for it

Good account, yes the seeing was average last night, but some fleetingly good moments and stepping back on the mag was providing the optimum image. Haven't used a filter just varying focal length eyepieces, settled on one that worked well. Became a bit nippy, I wear a down vest over a light fleece jacket, beanie hat which was snug enough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

I haven’t found any yellow tinge with the contras booster, not that I’ve noticed, I have found it to improve all the planets, not just Mars which is what it’s best known for.

I love the Morpheus range, I’ve got them all now and really can’t see any reason to spend more money on more expensive ep’s. I find the 17.5 and 14 to provide excellent wide field and immersive views with excellent contrast and pin sharp stars, great for open clusters, all being well with collimation. You’re right, the 12.5 is probably the least useful for the reason you’ve stated, I admit, I could do without it....but I just couldn’t leave one out of the set 😂 The 4.5 is good for planets and planetary nebula as you still have the wide fov but I do use a Vixen SLV 4mm to get right into the planets 

Overall, I’m very impressed with the Morpheus, they are a mid price ep that perform as well as their more expensive contemporaries although I am far from being an expert...... I wouldn’t want to comment on exit pupil etc 🤥 

Neptune is a lovely planet and is pretty well placed at the moment so go for it

I really don't know which one to go for next the 4.5mm or the 17.5mm 🤔