Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Basic filter question.

I am slowly improving my rig and will eventually like to replace my Dslr with a decent mono astro camera, complete with filter wheel and filters. 

The next step is to aquire a guide cam, a Zwo Asi120 mm mini is my preferred option at the moment (it has to be a Zwo because I am using an asiair Pro). 

As a secondary use I would like to do some planetary AP using my sw200p newt.

Can I get a set of filters that I can use for planetary AP using the 120mm mini that will also be useable with a mono astro cam (eg asi 1600mm) for dsos  in the future. 

4 hours ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Can I get a set of filters that I can use for planetary AP using the 120mm mini that will also be useable with a mono astro cam (eg asi 1600mm) for dsos  in the future. 

You can indeed use the same LRGB filters for planetary and deep sky imaging.  Depending on the size of the filter and the telescope F ratio in the future, you may need 2" filters.  But for now the 1.25" filters would be perfect for the planetary camera 120MM.  You will need to also purchase a filter wheel, manual one would be ok for imaging planets, and then upgrade to an electronic one in the future for deep sky imaging.

This is my current setup, a manual filter wheel £22 off ebay, and a set of LRGB baader filters, with a IR pass 685 filter.

You are probably looking at around £250-330 to buy new Baader filters and a cheap filter wheel.  Then the cost of the camera on top.  As David suggested above, the 120MC might be a better option for you, it will work perfectly as a guide camera (though not ideal as an OAG), and also 100% for planets.

D32CCBBE-CA8C-45CA-8A0A-2909395AEC53.thumb.jpeg.1785190174883e6726bdf869241c41ce.jpeg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

I am led to believe that the 120mm is better for guiding, also looking to buy a mono camera to replace my dslr eventually 

The mono is going to be slightly better, but for guiding, I doubt it's ever going to be what limits your performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all, just trying to find the easiest, cheapest upgrade path.   Don't really want to buy kit that isn't going to be of use in the long term but  I guess I should have learned by now that 2 birds with 1 stone doesn't really work in astronomy. 120mc it is then.