Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Literally NAILED it! (OK, tent pegged it!)

Tim

Every year, as a family, we take an extended break which includes the Kelling Heath Star Party. This year it just happened that we were here two weeks earlier.

Although the moon was fullish, I was determined to see Mars as near to opposition as possible, and the chance of a clear spell arrived the other night. I dutifully set up my scope, an 18" dob, and went to add the finishing touch, the Telrad finder.

Disaster!  I only left it at home like a wally. So I had to improvise, and fast as it was getting dark.

So here I present my MK1 Kelling Finder. Never mind that it looks like a nail/tent peg, It needs no batteries, is adjustable by simply adding more duct tape, and it doesn't dew up at night........and actually, in an emergency, it worked a treat :D

I did make a generous offer on ebay for one, which was declined, (so had to chuckle when it auctioned for less than I offered )

Thank goodness Widescreen Centre had a Telrad in stock, it was delivered this week :)

Just need the skies now, maybe tonight!

20201007_141122.jpg

20201007_141146.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, wulfrun said:

How did you collimate it? Sorry - couldn't resist! Top marks for improvisation though.

:D Foam pads and duct tape!   All I can say is, thank goodness I have a very low magnification Nagler in my eyepiece collection, as the night cooled the view holes started rotating :)