NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gloves

Captain Scarlet

Think I’ve got feet, legs and head sorted. Looking at coat options at the moment... just leaves the hands. The issue with observing is you’re not moving about so gloves for sport can’t be trusted to work. I got some that I now use as gardening gloves but they are a wee bit too small to keep fingers warm (totally bramble proof thiugh). 
Peter

peter

I've been commuting to work by bike since the late 1980s and it took me years to solve the what-gloves-for-70minutes-when-it's-cold-and-raining problem. My only truly miserable rides were that scenario. It turns out there is no such thing as a cycling glove that's waterproof. But eventually, only quite recently, I found a pair that is completely impervious to water even for a whole 20 mile cold wet ride, but they're not cycling gloves! They were Montane trekking gloves, layered pertex, and have made such a difference!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Think I’ve got feet, legs and head sorted. Looking at coat options at the moment... just leaves the hands. The issue with observing is you’re not moving about so gloves for sport can’t be trusted to work. I got some that I now use as gardening gloves but they are a wee bit too small to keep fingers warm (totally bramble proof thiugh). 
Peter

As per @Andy0306 's suggestion, I've ordered a pair of these https://www.theheatcompany.com/en-gb/gloves/merino-liner?number=33022 .

I'm also going to steal a pair of my wife's thin woolly mittens.

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 1

I'm also on the lookout for gloves, this winter will be my first observing.

Touchscreen operation is a requirement for me too, so I was thinking of trying these:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-kf530-touchscreen-nitrile-foam-gloves-orange-black-large/808fr

though they seem to come in only one size, so they may be too bulky.

Screwfix also sell fingerless gloves, including some partially fingerless ones:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-kf420-3-finger-framer-performance-gloves-grey-black-large/445fr

Now this is a subject I have plenty of experience with (I work as freezer manager for a frozen food company - -18C all day).

You are never going to come up with a single glove solution I'm afraid - any glove that will keep you warm enough will prevent you from doing pretty much any fine work. We use inner and outer gloves from https://www.flexitog.com/gloves?page=1 (the true grip 13 and certified liner 440) with the addition of 'little hotties' https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Hotties-Box-Hand-Warmers/dp/B01MYDYJ2I between the inner and outer gloves if humidity is high (high humidity makes your fingers loose heat faster). With this setup we are able to operate for 4-5 hours before you start to loose feeling in your extremities. Writing and sketching is perfectly possible - in pencil, as ink freezes! It's obviously more difficult than without gloves, though all but the smallest items can be manipulated.

David

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What kind of external gloves do you recommend. I am thinking that a super warm external glove with some lighter ones for detailed short duration activities. I have several pairs that don’t quite work when the wind blows...

Peter

If you use inner gloves, you can use quite thin outer ones. It's the air trapped between the inner and outer gloves that keeps you warm. Our outer gloves are similar to the polka dot picking gloves from Screwfix. The trick is to keep them dry - once they get wet (condensation/dew) you will get cold very quickly.

David

Thanks for sharing your valuable, personal experience. :thumbsup:

Windy, or still conditions, are very different. Both require different approaches.
Wind chill becomes a serious matter with increasing [wind] speed. 
A breathable membrane is essential for cycling or other exercise like mountain walking.
But windproof cycling gloves may not be [remotely] warm enough for just standing around.
Hopefully wind chill is very unlikely at the telescope.
Though I once designed a Dob on a cycle trailer to get away from the street lights. :)

Serious windchill, but sometimes there is a gentle breeze that sucks the warmth out of you. As observing is a stationary activity gloves designed for vigorous activity are less suited. I might just go for an oversized warm mitten, space for additional layers and heat packs.

Peter

There are mitts with detachable finger hoods for whatever you need to do with bare fingers..

A "gentle breeze which sucks the warmth out of you" is a clear message to invest in a decent jacket and a tea cosy with ear flaps.

I have a pair of bespoke wollen mittens made to my own design and knitted by my lovely wife.   The end of the mitts have flaps for when you need to fiddle with stuff, and, crucially the thumbs have their own separate flaps.  Blummin marvellous!

• Like 2

Just got back from Tesco’s and they had Hot Hands heat packs- 5 double packs for £4- never used them before but they say they last 10hrs so thought i’d give them a go. Could be nice comfort on those particularly chilly nights

• 2 weeks later...

Just keep in mind, folks, that forced heating is inferior to the insulation in astronomy applications. Because the escaping hot air might affect the seeing locally. Usually that's only visible near the Zenith as the heat escaping the face is nearly unavoidable. But the heat escaping from lower body might ruin relatively low planetary views as well.

OK, just spent half an hour in the garden testing the gloves out (also with muck boots, “marshmallow trousers”, an M&S trapper hat and the wife’s new winter coat). 9C and a breeze, so nothing especially challenging, but couldn’t tell it was cold at all apart from the tip of my nose. So the new Black Diamond Mercury Mitts have finally ended the days of cold hands. Now to keep my nose warm.... I just need to get my own jacket.

Peter