SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ubuntu: Losing my head!

Paul M

4 minutes ago, stash_old said:

I really worry about some of the so called tech reporters - "Ubuntu 20.10 can also run on RP 2 and 3 variants but only with 4GB RAM and above " - anyone spot the stupid basic mistake. Then they wonder why "users" have problems!

I'd seen some reports that confused me, which I why I posted a link to the "horses mouth", so to speak.

Even here: https://www.youtube.com/c/explainingcomputers/community my new Youtube friend uses the words: "This is a 64-bt OS, so a 4GB or 8GB Raspberry Pi 4 is recommended."

"Rcommended" is not the same as "required". Hmm, I think some tinkerers have been porting some flavour of Ubuntu to other than model 4 Pi's already, but that's not for lost-in-the-wilderness greenhorns like me.

1 hour ago, stash_old said:

I really worry about some of the so called tech reporters - "Ubuntu 20.10 can also run on RP 2 and 3 variants but only with 4GB RAM and above " - anyone spot the stupid basic mistake. Then they wonder why "users" have problems!

RPI2 ,RPI3 never had or will have >1gb RAM .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stash_old said:

If I read that page correctly they don't say that Ubuntu 20.10 will run on the older models,  just that Ubuntu is available on them. 😲

For any readers of this thread see Ubuntu page for their coverage of the various Pi flavours.

16 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

If I read that page correctly they don't say that Ubuntu 20.10 will run on the older models,  just that Ubuntu is available on them

So why bother making that statement - it just gives the wrong idea! Hell Windows is available on RPI4 but is useless for Astro! Sounds like BBC stories - should ,could and might.

At least the other link shows Desktop version is only recommended for the RPI4 - thats fair and accurate IMO 🙂

and the Server version (i.e. no GUI Desktop) is available on others.

I have RPI4 with 2GB of ram. I think that is more than enough for light desktop usage. At least it should be.

LXQT uses up something like 300-400mb of ram so there is at least 1.5GB left. I still have not figured out problem with SDDM and startup. For some reason it won't start on boot if graphical target is selected as default target. It starts in test mode and XServer starts from command line.

I installed XRDP and remote desktop sessions work normally.

Now, I'm about to test INDIGOSKY distribution. First problem (there is always little something with linux isn't there? :D ) that I'm facing is that I can't login into ssh because I don't know credentials for this preinstalled image. Indigo sky page says it is default raspbian / raspberry pi os installation with indigo server installed, but pi/raspberry is not working on ssh for some reason.

50 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

I have RPI4 with 2GB of ram. I think that is more than enough for light desktop usage. At least it should be.

LXQT uses up something like 300-400mb of ram so there is at least 1.5GB left. I still have not figured out problem with SDDM and startup. For some reason it won't start on boot if graphical target is selected as default target. It starts in test mode and XServer starts from command line.

I installed XRDP and remote desktop sessions work normally.

Now, I'm about to test INDIGOSKY distribution. First problem (there is always little something with linux isn't there? :D ) that I'm facing is that I can't login into ssh because I don't know credentials for this preinstalled image. Indigo sky page says it is default raspbian / raspberry pi os installation with indigo server installed, but pi/raspberry is not working on ssh for some reason.

Here is says use indigo as login & password.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stash_old said:

So why bother making that statement - it just gives the wrong idea! Hell Windows is available on RPI4 but is useless for Astro! Sounds like BBC stories - should ,could and might.

At least the other link shows Desktop version is only recommended for the RPI4 - thats fair and accurate IMO 🙂

and the Server version (i.e. no GUI Desktop) is available on others.

I could not see the exact statement as you mentioned it, but you are right it does not do a good job of clarifying what runs on what.

• Like 1

I'm just happy and I feel the need to share ... :D

Got everything working and I'm very pleased with how it works:

- RPI is in AP mode and accepting phone and AzGTI connections

- Camera is happily connected to RPI and takes images via Web interface

- Mount connects and slews via web interface.

IndigoSky has very basic imaging capability, but I think it will be all that I need for the time being. Awaiting 30mm guide scope from FLO (ordered about a month ago, but still not in stock?) and I'll be also testing the guiding.

I know this is ubuntu thread, but I strongly believe all of this with a bit of effort could be also made on ubuntu server for RPI. Not much to it really - server is installed and configured, wifi is configured in AP mode - all very simple settings. I even added AzGTI to have reserved address on DHCP (dnsmasq) and save that address in Indigo server conf (auto discovery is not working well for some reason).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

IndigoSky has very basic imaging capability, but I think it will be all that I need for the time being. Awaiting 30mm guide scope from FLO (ordered about a month ago, but still not in stock?) and I'll be also testing the guiding.

I know this is ubuntu thread, but I strongly believe all of this with a bit of effort could be also made on ubuntu server for RPI. Not much to it really - server is installed and configured, wifi is configured in AP mode - all very simple settings. I even added AzGTI to have reserved address on DHCP (dnsmasq) and save that address in Indigo server conf (auto discovery is not working well for some reason).

Its already is -  Except DSLR's work 99.99% on Indi and doesn't work in Indigo doesn't like long exposures on Canon DSLR (old bug not corrected last time I looked)

Astroberry does everything Indigo does and Std Indilib is easy to set up on any Ubuntu OS - For server mode only  just switch of the desktop. Astroberry in server mode can still be accessed via the browser and Astroberry Panels still work ok.

Have you looked at AstrophotoPlus for a Browser based working - haven't done a lot of testing so part may or may not work.

Edited by stash_old
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Yes, as has been said, just use Astroberry, a lot less fuss, and works out of the box....as it were.... 👍😀

I've been looking at the changes between Ubuntu 20.04 and the new intermediate release  20.10 . Not an awful lot to make me need it and having seen that one of the changes relates to hotspot creation I may well be better of not bothering, given the trouble I had setting one up on Ubu.

But that doesn't mean I won't install it, just that I shouldn't...:)

I'm thinking of getting a 2.5 SATA SSD to install in Ubu as a fixed backup location. It's a miracle that I haven't trashed it yet. 

I did upgrade the old laptop that I'd also installed Ubuntu on to 20.10. It was a long slog. Should have just downloaded the ISO and done a fresh install, nothing else other than Chrome and RealVNC viewer installed on that either. Was just a fresh 20.04 install. At least I know what to expect if I did upgrade little Ubu also.

Looks like I'll wait until the dust settles before risking it.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

In the absence of anything better to be doing I did upgrade Ubu to Ubuntu 20.10.

It was a bit long winded but generally went well. KStars disappeared so I reinstalled that and expected to have to reconfigure it all and even re-download all the solving catalogues. However, all the data files were retained, even my equipment profiles were still there.

So, last night was my first clear night in a thousand years and I took advantage of it. It was first light on my belt mod too. The belt mod/tune up seems to have cured my guiding issue. Internal guiding now calibrates in 30 seconds. Unfortunately I had a problems still. 180 sec images were showing some trailing and guiding trends showing guiding was all over the place. Most of that will have been due to dew. The guidescope objective was fogged over!

Upwards and onwards. I tried a run of 10 x 180 sec on M82, just to be away from the worst of the Moon's glow. The ghost of Astroberry resurfaced! The first sub completed ok. Subsequent subs failed "timed out" in the last few seconds or just stopped counting down. If I restarted the sequence the first sub would be ok, then it turns flakey again. Looks to me like resources are being sapped... again :(

I can see Windows coming to a mini PC near me quite soon...

What do we want? APT! 

When do we want it?

Now!!

Only downside of putting Windows on Ubu (soon to be renamed Windi) is that if it is a resource issue then the same resources are likely to be even further stretched with Win 10 under the bonnet.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Paul M said:

In the absence of anything better to be doing I did upgrade Ubu to Ubuntu 20.10.

It was a bit long winded but generally went well. KStars disappeared so I reinstalled that and expected to have to reconfigure it all and even re-download all the solving catalogues. However, all the data files were retained, even my equipment profiles were still there.

So, last night was my first clear night in a thousand years and I took advantage of it. It was first light on my belt mod too. The belt mod/tune up seems to have cured my guiding issue. Internal guiding now calibrates in 30 seconds. Unfortunately I had a problems still. 180 sec images were showing some trailing and guiding trends showing guiding was all over the place. Most of that will have been due to dew. The guidescope objective was fogged over!

Upwards and onwards. I tried a run of 10 x 180 sec on M82, just to be away from the worst of the Moon's glow. The ghost of Astroberry resurfaced! The first sub completed ok. Subsequent subs failed "timed out" in the last few seconds or just stopped counting down. If I restarted the sequence the first sub would be ok, then it turns flakey again. Looks to me like resources are being sapped... again :(

I can see Windows coming to a mini PC near me quite soon...

What do we want? APT! 

When do we want it?

Now!!

Only downside of putting Windows on Ubu (soon to be renamed Windi) is that if it is a resource issue then the same resources are likely to be even further stretched with Win 10 under the bonnet.

Relating to the subs timed out issue, Maybe the issue is with your hardwear and not the software as you have the same issue in different software set ups....just a thought....🤔🤔

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Relating to the subs timed out issue, Maybe the issue is with your hardwear and not the software as you have the same issue in different software set ups....just a thought....🤔🤔

Almost certainly the case. My final conclusion from my Astroberry troubles was that my particular camera combination brought out the worst of the known peculiarities of the Raspberry Pi hardware.

My next stop will be to temporarily retire the ASI120 mini guide camera. Try the ASI178 for guiding and bring back the EOS1200D to the prime focus. Maybe not even guide. I was getting usable 180 sec subs on the NEQ6 without guiding with the 1200D and APT.

I've always suspected the 120mm to be most of the problem. Although I tried every which way with the RasPi without success. 

Anyway, I got dewed up then clouded out last night so couldn't test anything else.

1 hour ago, Paul M said:

Almost certainly the case. My final conclusion from my Astroberry troubles was that my particular camera combination brought out the worst of the known peculiarities of the Raspberry Pi hardware.

My next stop will be to temporarily retire the ASI120 mini guide camera. Try the ASI178 for guiding and bring back the EOS1200D to the prime focus. Maybe not even guide. I was getting usable 180 sec subs on the NEQ6 without guiding with the 1200D and APT.

I've always suspected the 120mm to be most of the problem. Although I tried every which way with the RasPi without success. 

Anyway, I got dewed up then clouded out last night so couldn't test anything else.

Well the USB 2 ASI120MC and MM, do NOT work with ekos as it’s no longer supported, there was a firmware fix, but even that did not work, ASI don’t even support that camera anymore, but i realise yours is the newer mini version, but again there are many people that have issues with that one too with ekos...Stellarmate and Astroberry....☹️

• 2 weeks later...

Ubu has just undergone a procedure and now wishes be known as "Windi". 

After another failed Ekos session the other day I decided to order a Kingston 240GB SSD preloaded with W10 Pro and a license key. Yesterday I installed the SSD in the miniPC formerly known as Ubu. It's now dual boot but that's pretty meaningless in a headless situation because I'd need a keyboard and monitor to access the Boot options and or BIOS in the field. It's now configured to boot to W10 on startup and I've got VNC server working nicely. Very smooth startup indeed.

So, W10 aside, I've installed the latest version of APT and hit the first hurdle. The APT splash screen appears on starting but soon disappears and there is no further APT activity, startup just terminates, nothing, nill, null, nowt. I've checked NET. Framework is installed and configured and, just in case, ASCOM Platform and EQAscom. I tried running as administrator too. Still no joy. But it's early days. I'll maybe pop an enquiry on the APT forum; can't see any posts from others having a similar problem so seems very specific my installation. I even tried rolling back to the previous version, no joy. I've installed ATP on other PC's and found it a rather painless and straight forward affair.

No rush, no clear sky expected for the remainder of this year... :(

9 hours ago, Paul M said:

Ubu has just undergone a procedure and now wishes be known as "Windi". 

After another failed Ekos session the other day I decided to order a Kingston 240GB SSD preloaded with W10 Pro and a license key. Yesterday I installed the SSD in the miniPC formerly known as Ubu. It's now dual boot but that's pretty meaningless in a headless situation because I'd need a keyboard and monitor to access the Boot options and or BIOS in the field. It's now configured to boot to W10 on startup and I've got VNC server working nicely. Very smooth startup indeed.

So, W10 aside, I've installed the latest version of APT and hit the first hurdle. The APT splash screen appears on starting but soon disappears and there is no further APT activity, startup just terminates, nothing, nill, null, nowt. I've checked NET. Framework is installed and configured and, just in case, ASCOM Platform and EQAscom. I tried running as administrator too. Still no joy. But it's early days. I'll maybe pop an enquiry on the APT forum; can't see any posts from others having a similar problem so seems very specific my installation. I even tried rolling back to the previous version, no joy. I've installed ATP on other PC's and found it a rather painless and straight forward affair.

No rush, no clear sky expected for the remainder of this year... :(

You really seem to be having nothing but issues....if you still have your RPI give it another go with Astroberry, you may well be very surprised  ...just make sure you have a good 4 amp power supply and a good powered USB hub, and use the 5ghz wifi not the 2.4ghz...and any issues I will try and help....👍😀

10 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

You really seem to be having nothing but issues....if you still have your RPI give it another go with Astroberry, you may well be very surprised  ...just make sure you have a good 4 amp power supply and a good powered USB hub, and use the 5ghz wifi not the 2.4ghz...and any issues I will try and help....👍😀

The Pi has used its 9 lives already. Everything you suggest has been done numerous times in every possible combination, including ethernet only connection, powered and un powered hubs, 4 Amp Raspberry Pi 4 official power supply, high powered usb chargers. 3 months of it...

Anyway, I drilled a hole through the Pi and screwed it to the floor as a doorstop.

The Windows install is working great. Everything else installed fine. PHD2, ASTAP, Stellarium, ASCOM etc. Windows is fully updated and NET. framework is up to date.

It's just APT that won't launch beyond the startup splash screen. It seems you need to run it to set up logging, at user level anyway. So no indication yet as to what is bothering it.

Well, then. I decided to boot Windi into safe mode, see if it showed where ATP was stalling. And it did.

On starting ATP in safe mode it threw up a dialogue box complaining about being unable to access an APT .BAK file in a One Drive folder. 

Interestingly I'd logged into my MS account during the W10 install. It seems to have also taken the liberty of syncing the One Drive files too. However I didn't like the cross talk between my laptop and Windi. Weird stuff happened, so I disconnected One Drive before  installing APT. But it seems APT somehow got hold of a local copy of that file and when trying to start was looking for One Drive! 

Against my better judgment I've allowed One Drive to sync and err, hey presto! APT now starts :)

It's now connecting with PHD2, Stellarium and ASTAP. Now downloading the other plate solving components. Even though ASTAP is a fast solver it can be quirky so best to have options.

Stellarium and ASCOM can read the GPS dongle and ASCOM is passing it to APT. 

Got a couple of night shifts to survive (leaving me grumpy and groggy) then I'll dry run the hardware to ensure all drivers and configs are in place before the next clear night. Forecast to be sometime in 2036... By which time I'll have finally got my gear working on a single molecule neural network quantum computer :)

Edited by Paul M