Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Filter set(s) for new ZWO 294MM Pro

Deeko

As it approaches Xmas I am defo in the market to gift myself either a new OSC such as the ZWO 2600 or go mono with the new 294MM Pro. Currently have the ZWO294Mc Pro (for nearly 2 years). As the array of filter sets for LRGB and HSO vary hugely in price, can anyone recommend a set of each filters that is reasonable priced to go with the 294MM?

Ta!

I've been toying with the idea of a mono camera too and I've been looking at the 294, although I can't decide over the ZWO or QHY version (QHY has the 2x2binning unlocked so you can use 1x1 binning for smaller pixels). For filters I used to have Astrodon but they're super expensive so I've been looking into the Antlia Filters sold at 365astronomy. They're 3.5nm wide and aren't as highly priced as the Astrodons. Having never used them though I can't comment on how good they are.

On 01/10/2020 at 21:24, Deeko said:

As it approaches Xmas I am defo in the market to gift myself either a new OSC such as the ZWO 2600 or go mono with the new 294MM Pro. Currently have the ZWO294Mc Pro (for nearly 2 years). As the array of filter sets for LRGB and HSO vary hugely in price, can anyone recommend a set of each filters that is reasonable priced to go with the 294MM?

Ta!

I would say that 31mm is the way to go but depending on F-ratio then 1.25 may also work out. After that its just a question of budget. I would say Baader personally for buget filters, they are tried and tested. You will get OIII reflections but unless you are willing to pay the big bucks (AD / Chroma) that is not something you will be able to get rid of.

Adam

On 03/10/2020 at 20:27, Adam J said:

I would say that 31mm is the way to go but depending on F-ratio then 1.25 may also work out. After that its just a question of budget. I would say Baader personally for buget filters, they are tried and tested. You will get OIII reflections but unless you are willing to pay the big bucks (AD / Chroma) that is not something you will be able to get rid of.

Adam

I am using a TS Photoline 80mm f6 triplet scope with matched 0.79 reducer. Is there any benefit going with 2" inch filters and wheel with this setup and a 294MM or is it wasted money? Was also thinking if I upgraded to an APS-C fornat camera in the future then the 2" filters would be better, but I am not so sure now!

2 hours ago, Deeko said:

I am using a TS Photoline 80mm f6 triplet scope with matched 0.79 reducer. Is there any benefit going with 2" inch filters and wheel with this setup and a 294MM or is it wasted money? Was also thinking if I upgraded to an APS-C fornat camera in the future then the 2" filters would be better, but I am not so sure now!

I think that for APS-C you would just be ok with 31mm filters at F6 but not much faster. To be totally future proof for APS-C you could go with 36mm filters, but I see no need for 2 inch filters. For the 294, 31mm will be just fine even at F4. 

Ordered the 295MM with the Baader 36mm LRGB set, I cant seem to find the entry-level Baader SHO 2459466 set in stock anywhere. Are the similarly priced Optolong/ZWO SHO sets of the same quality as the Baader set?

Or am I better spending more for separate filters? - more being a relative term!

Edited by Deeko

Just discovered that the colour 4/3 sensors use the IMX294 sensor, but the monochrome versions use the IMX492.

The IMX492 does 2x2 binning in order to get the same amount of pixels as the 294 and 14-bit dynamic range instead of the 'normal'12-bit. QHY is offering access to the 4x subpixels as well, so you can get both resolutions/pixel sizes in a single sensor. You could select either fat or small pixels (and the resulting resolutions). I wonder why ZWO doesn't offer this option as well.

N.F.

4 hours ago, nfotis said:

Just discovered that the colour 4/3 sensors use the IMX294 sensor, but the monochrome versions use the IMX492.

The IMX492 does 2x2 binning in order to get the same amount of pixels as the 294 and 14-bit dynamic range instead of the 'normal'12-bit. QHY is offering access to the 4x subpixels as well, so you can get both resolutions/pixel sizes in a single sensor. You could select either fat or small pixels (and the resulting resolutions). I wonder why ZWO doesn't offer this option as well.

N.F.

I think possibly because there is a read noise hit to running it in that mode but we will see.

• 2 weeks later...

Astronomik 6nm SHO filters arrived and the clouds departed for a wee while! First light on the 294MM with the filters.  This is my first mono camera and first attempt at SHO imaging. It is 3 hours of data in Bortle 6/7 with 20x180sec for each filter., 30x flats, darks, and dark flats. 

v4_processed_extrasharp_B.png

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
On 13/10/2020 at 15:24, nfotis said:

N.F.

The latest drivers now allow 1 x 1 binning on the 294MM Cooled - don’t know the effect as my order is on back order :(