NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sol today

nicoscy

I notice in a lot of sun pictures there's no limb darkening. Is this due to a filter used or does increasing contrast in processing hide it? Beautiful pictures by the way, I'm looking forward to the increase in solar activity!

Post processing and use of an artificial flat in Photoshop which takes under a minute to create. Workflow is not mine, it is MalVeauX who shared this:

- Copy base layer and do a Noise / Dust and Scratches: 30 Radius (or thereabouts) and merge layers, then;
- Copy base layer and do a Noise / Median Filter 45 Radius (or thereabouts) and merge layers, then;
- Copy base layer and do 3x Adjustments / Curves / Presets / Darker, then;
- Set layer to Difference and adjust opacity to find a balanced image eliminating most gradients / limb darkening and merge layers

I am still a solar noob, playing around with various processing techniques, but I do think I will direct my focus to inversions. I kind of like them more :)

• Thanks 1

Limb darkening is more of a white light thing.
Though it certainly exists in H-a and possibly Ca.
It's most noticeable when teasing detail out of a poor image.
It darkens the edge first as you move the sliders in ImPPG.
The limb easily vanishes completely during clumsy processing.
Sometimes ending with the "Dahlia effect." :blush:

• Thanks 1

Ah, I don't do closeups - only full disk images. Your scope supports high magnification imaging, mine is a paltry 60mm Lunt with the ASI178MM :)

Still, for someone who is not willing to use anything larger than the SW SolarQuest, the 60mm and ASI178 give me some nice disks!

Now, if only I stopped being lazy and try imaging with the DS module on... Something for this weekend maybe!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nicoscy said:

Ah, I don't do closeups - only full disk images. Your scope supports high magnification imaging, mine is a paltry 60mm Lunt with the ASI178MM :)

Still, for someone who is not willing to use anything larger than the SW SolarQuest, the 60mm and ASI178 give me some nice disks!

Now, if only I stopped being lazy and try imaging with the DS module on... Something for this weekend maybe!

Now you've done it! Planning ahead to use a DS - classic result in cloud cover.....

• Like 2

Geoff,

I need to stop being lazy and try my hand at double stacking. Filter has been sitting in its case for a year because I more or less enjoy single stack and I am lazy. But, if I want to get more detail in my images, I need to break out the DS module asap!

• Like 2