NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars 20th/21st September

Tommohawk

Still experimenting with my set up and making some progress I think. Last night I think I proved that always trying to go for the shortest exposure possible in order to freeze the seeing isn't necessarily helpful. I did 5 x 3 min AVIS with 1.5ms and one with 3.5ms - the latter was definitely better. Wish I had more now, or maybe tried even slower. Maybe another go tonight.... it looks clear again.

One other thing I discovered is that my colour balance is off when capturing such that processing requires quite a tweak. PIPP aligns the RGB histo so sort this, but presumably better done at the time of capture - I'll experiment with white balance. I also only set WP to 65% rather than my usual 75% to try and stop the ice cap overexposing. I think it helped.

As noted in this post, the lower right limb seems cloudy - not sure what that's about?

250mm F4 with  5x powermate (though only set at approx x4) and Omegon 385C, captured with Toupsky, PIPP, AS!2, PS. Next effort will have more data so hopefully better!

65WP_20200921001327395_pipp_g4_ap84_convPScrop.png.f130d4fd2f8494d3ad3dc17662d4017b.png

• Like 9

1 hour ago, skyhog said:

Very nice that...I do like the colour too, I find that closer to my visual interpretation of late. 

Ed

Thanks! My colour vision isn't so good, so if it's even close I'm happy.

52 minutes ago, si@nite said:

Some very nice detail on show in your image!

Thank you... Hoping for further improvement s with tonight's effort.

8 minutes ago, astroman001 said:

Nice colour, that blue tinge on the right was real. It's mist as the surface rotates into the Sun. I saw it last night as well.

Peter

Brilliant that's helpful to know. Do you know is that just a transient feature?