SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mars 21st Sept

ShrewView

Had another clear night here and although it wasn't as steady as the middle of last week when the seeing was very good, it was still better than usual. So after a spot of visual decided to try some imaging runs.

Captured with 8.5inch newt and zwo224 at around f18. Best 2000 of 18000 through pipp and AS3

Haven't really applied wavelets or done much else yet, only AS3 output. 

On capture I noticed the lighter region on the limb which does seem to move with the rotation of the planet. Don't know if this is Martian cloud or just paler Tharsis region coming into view?

375979951_2020-09-21-0053_2-M21stMars_015310_pipp_lapl6_ap8_convwav-Copy.jpg.9da0c0e0c0f0d2bcbe4a0731e513feaa.jpg

• Like 7

Lovely image! Pretty sure that would benefit from some sharpening/wavelets too.

When you say ...

3 hours ago, ShrewView said:

the lighter region on the limb

...do you mean top left as we look at it? I'm just processing my effort from last night and have exactly the same thing, although mine is less because shot about an hour earlier by the look of it.

7 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Very nice, if that's straight out of AS3 can't wait to see what it looks like sharpened!  As a fellow vintage newt user I'td be nice to see some pics of your Astro Systems 8.5"?!

Thanks. Noticed As3 had already applied some sharpening and struggling to improve it much at the mo without losing something.

Here's a few of the scope taken earlier while waiting for tonight's effort. Complete with warning sticker! 

astrosys1.thumb.jpg.cc22d0e2e85e07e149fdf6243e13be20.jpgastrosys3.thumb.jpg.ba07bd442350455dd35527c4d548bf26.jpgastrosys4.thumb.jpg.3f96c9559acd2245413c225857121e54.jpg

5 hours ago, Tommohawk said:

Lovely image! Pretty sure that would benefit from some sharpening/wavelets too.

When you say ...

...do you mean top left as we look at it? I'm just processing my effort from last night and have exactly the same thing, although mine is less because shot about an hour earlier by the look of it.

Thanks. Yes, if you imagine south pole at six o'clock position then from the 8 to 10 position I had the feeling there was a lighter feature which appeared curved. Having seen some of the images from the bigger scopes, suspect its not cloud but can't get a final image which does much better than the original without burning it out? Didn't notice it a couple of days ago though when I last looked.

Your image is great. What did you decide?

• Like 1