Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Secret Lab (telescope) inside Lnd. "Monument"

Macavity

I suspect I didn't know it, despite having read Stephen Inwood's excellent biography of Hooke.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Who-Knew-Too-Much/dp/0230768458  However, I'd better check because I'm quite likely to have forgotten this part of his story.  (What I do remember is that Hooke took a ride on horseback out of London and bruised his testicles in the process. It struck me that history affords little privacy to those with whom it busies itself!)

😁lly

Edited by ollypenrice
Typo
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

I was confused by the name of the webpage link which includes "medieveal lab". The medieval period ended a couple of centuries before the Fire and the Monument. At least this isn't mentioned in the article itself.

The book by Allan Chapman, "England's Leonardo: Robert Hooke and the Seventeenth-Century Scientific Revolution" is excellent and includes a portrait painted by Rita Greer of how Hooke might have appeared.

• Like 1