NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mobile Phone Holder

Hi All! 

I'm trying to get some photos on the planets in the next few weeks, on a budget. It seems to me I have two options:

1. Attach my DSLR to telescope with adaptor tube and lens. I have tried this and I cannot quite achieve focus.

2. Attach my smartphone to the lens and take a video, get frames from that and stack them.

I don't want to mess about with pushing the mirror up or anything like that, so 1 seems out. Unless there is some kind of adaptor I can buy?

The easiest way would seem to be buying some kind of mount  for the smartphone. Can anyone recommend one that will work ok? Some seem quite expensive, others quite cheap. Obviously you get what you pay for, but equally I just need something to hold my smartphone onto a lens, so I don;t want to spend a lot of cash on this if I can get it done passably well for less money.

Can anyone please recommend a smartphone holder that works? I have a Skywatcher200p with standard focuser etc, and a Samsung Galaxy s8+.

As ever, thanks for the advice.

This smartphone holder is quite good and works well and not expensive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Prismáticos-Monoculares-Telescopios-Astronómicos-Microscopios/dp/B07QLB16Y9/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=smartphone+holder+telescope&qid=1600255546&sr=8-17

This one is very popular and very easy to adjust although more expensive. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/celestron-nexyz-3-axis-universal-smartphone-adapter.html

My personal favourite. If you have eyepieces with an attachment thread on the top though so that could be a problem.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8655_TS-Optics-Smartphone-adapter-with-T2-thread--for-telescopes-and-spotting-scopes.html

I have all three which I have aquired in the search for the perfect holder. 😁

BTW have tried the one in the post above but found it very fiddly to adjust. Inexpensive though.

32A82AE8-7A94-4805-A2BB-3C72DD6FADE5.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies!

Is that the GoSky above? I  have heard reasonable reviews on it. I will try that one as a first stop, and as it's Amazon, if it doesn't work I'll just return it and try the other Amazon one!

Unless you're using a Newtonian with limited back focus, you should be able to do DSLR prime focus photography with a 2" to T-thread adapter and a T-mount for your camera.  If you're using a Newt with limited back focus, you can try to use a 2" Barlow or a GSO/Revelation coma corrector with the optics section threaded onto the front of the 2" to T-thread adapter.  You won't be able to vary magnification much except with the Barlow approach.

10 hours ago, Jm1973 said:

Hi All! 

I'm trying to get some photos on the planets in the next few weeks, on a budget. It seems to me I have two options:

1. Attach my DSLR to telescope with adaptor tube and lens. I have tried this and I cannot quite achieve focus.

2. Attach my smartphone to the lens and take a video, get frames from that and stack them.

I don't want to mess about with pushing the mirror up or anything like that, so 1 seems out. Unless there is some kind of adaptor I can buy?

The easiest way would seem to be buying some kind of mount  for the smartphone. Can anyone recommend one that will work ok? Some seem quite expensive, others quite cheap. Obviously you get what you pay for, but equally I just need something to hold my smartphone onto a lens, so I don;t want to spend a lot of cash on this if I can get it done passably well for less money.

Can anyone please recommend a smartphone holder that works? I have a Skywatcher200p with standard focuser etc, and a Samsung Galaxy s8+.

As ever, thanks for the advice.

Hi

I have the celestron nex yz and found it much easier to align with the ep and very quickly as well, it's more expensive but thjnk it's easily worth the extra. 

• Like 1