Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best Planetary Scope for AZ-GTI

Hi,

I am looking to find an OTA that would give the best view of the planets and the moon. I woulds like to be able to get some  really decent photos of the planets, specially since mars is about to enter ascension. Would like to have photos that show the polar ice caps. So as much focal length and maybe barlows would be great.

The only limitation is that it needs to be < 5KG to be able to use the AZ-GTI.

4.3-4.5 KG really, to give some space for other equipments.

I had a look at these and they re just a touch heavy.

The SkyWactcher 150 Mak -  5.6kg 

TS-Optics 6" - 5.4kg

Omegon CC , 154mm - 6 kg.

Am I stuck at at the 5"/127mm range ?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Edited by DroneSaif
spelling correction

The Besser 127 mak would do nicely. F/15 so longer focal length than the Skyatcher 127 mak and a full 127mm aperture unlike the SW which is about 119mm.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bresser-telescopes/bresser-messier-mc-127-1900-maksutov-cassegrain-ota.html

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p11501_Bresser-Messier-MC-127-1900-Maksutov-Cassegrain---Optical-Tube-Assembly.html

Edit:

The Celestron C6 is good but the price new is a bit crazy. 🙀

Edited by johninderby

Celestron C6 or a 5" Maksutov, like the Skywatcher Skymax127. As mentioned above you do often get a better deal if you buy Celestron SCT's as a bundle. Although, after reviewing the Astro Fi mount I can't say it's fit for purpose unless they've made some serious firmware and Wifi improvements over the last year or two.  

5 hours ago, sputniksteve said:

The C6 OTA is the same price as the Astro Fi version -- so, get that and sell the mount.

I wish I could, but I like in Saudi Arabia. Shpping the stupid mount increase the cost by  £180

If anyone here wants An Astro F1 mount, we can come to some arrangement!

5 hours ago, sputniksteve said:

From what I've read, if you use the AZ-GTi on a sturdier tripod it can actually carry more.

I have it on a manfrotto tripod. VERY study, but I think it's the unit itself.

I don't want to take the risk. I am in Saudi Arabia. Service will be hell. 

• Like 1