NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Yet another newbie question

Hello,

Let me congratulate you guys for the amazing forum. In the last few days I've been reading a lot of post and it's incredible the help ad the content that you create. :)

Secondly, I would also like to ask for you help. My dad has always been a sky and space enthusiast but never had the chance to buy a telescope. He watches a lot of videos on how to observe the deep space, planets, etc using telescopes (even how to collimate telescopes) but never used one. Since he will become 60 years old soon, I decided that I is a good gift to offer him, so he can spend his days in the countryside watching the sky and also pass that enthusiasm to his grandchildren.

However, as you might noticed, I'm a totally noob in this field. As I said, I read a lot of posts here in the forum, watched videos on youtube, read articles but I couldn't decide on which telescope I should invest. Since I'm Portuguese I found the astroshop.eu and I asked for their advice in choosing the first telescope. They suggested a few of them but all from "Omegon". I found it a bit weird that all the suggestions were from this brand and there was not a lot of reviews out there, even here in the forum I couldn't find a lot of info. The telescope that I was inclined to buy is the "Omegon N 150/750 EQ-4" https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/omegon-telescope-n-150-750-eq-4/p,22465. My budget is around the value of this one (300/400 €) but it can be a bit more if it worth it. 

A few things that I would like the telescope to have/be:

• I believe it should be a newtonian telescope with 150mm aperture (or should it be enough to have 130mm?). As far as my understanding goes, this specification can give my father a longevity telescope that can be used for a lot of years.
  • it should be portable and for that I think that an EQ mount suits best.
  • I would like that it can be upgradable over time so that in the future he can buy new eyepieces, a motorized mount, etc.
  • it doesn't need to be suited for astrophotography

So with this in mind, what is your best recommendation? For this price range which brands do you think it suits better?

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry for my English!

Cheers,

Henrique

Edited by henrique_rs

Hi Henrique, welcome to the forum and glad you're enjoying the discussions on here.

I would say that an alt-az mount would be better than an EQ mount in this case. An EQ mount needs to be polar aligned, and whilst not difficult is one more step that needs to be taken every time the scope is taken outside. A Newtonion scope, but on a DOB mount is probably the simplest to take out and use. With very few exceptions, eyepieces bought for one telescope will fit any other telescope.

I'm 60 myself and weight and portability is a big factor to consider.

By the way, the gift of letting him see the universe with his own eyes like this, is a tremendous one!

Edited by Starwatcher2001
  • Like 2

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I'd like to add my voice to those who say avoid an EQ mount for visual. A Dobsonian or an AZ mount on a tripod are much less frustrating to use. Also, Astroshop and Omegon appear to be the same company (or partners), which probably accounts for their recommendations. That's not to say Omegon are inferior but other makes are available. 

Good luck with your choice. It's a lovely idea for a 60th birthday present.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the feedback! :)

It seems that AZ mount is consensual. From what I could see in the astroshop there is no 150 mm aperture telescopes with AZ mount. Is it a technical restriction?

Do you think that 130 mm is a nice option? Can the EQ mount be "motorized"?

For the 150 mm aperture I saw these two options (besides the omegon):

Are these well known brands? 😇

Once again, thanks a lot for your help!

You might want something with a bit longer focal length, if you are after a telescope for both seep sky and planets. F/6 .. F/8 would be better.

Slower scopes also are usually more forgiving. Scopes with F/9 and greater are usually used mostly for planets.

On the other hand, I'm painfully aware what Corona has done to the selection. These days you can't always get what you want, but have to settle with the options still available.

Edited by turboscrew
  • Like 1

Also, I'm not that convinced that alt-az is so much easier. You don't really have to polar align it that well, if you are only doing visual. With rough alignment eq mount probably works a bit netter than alt-az. Both have singularity, but in different point. Basically alt-az is eq with latitude set permanently to 90°. Note that very few eq mounts allow 90° as latitude. Typically the adjustment range ends at 65°.

Then again, OP may have different opinion about eq v.s. alt-az.

Edited by turboscrew
  • Like 1

Have a look at this, a 150/750 Newton, Dobsonian mount:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p12279_Skywatcher-Dobson-Telescope-Heritage-150P-Flextube---150-mm-Aperture.html

This scope, a shortly released slightly bigger brother of the excellent Skywatcher Heritage 130 P Flextube, gets good reviews (do some research on here)

Teleskop-Express will also ship to Portugal; a very reliable partner.

Stephan

Edited by Nyctimene
  • Like 1

A Newtonian, particularly at f/5, requires collimating on occasion, upon arrival quite possibly, and thereafter.  Collimation consists of aligning the two mirrors within the tube in unison, and for sharp, pleasing images.  

You may wish to consider a refractor instead, which normally does not require collimation...

https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/bresser-telescope-ac-102-1000-messier-hexafoc-ota/p,14192  

https://www.astroshop.eu/alt-azimuth-without-goto/gso-atz-mount/p,4944

...or... https://www.astroshop.eu/equatorial-without-goto/skywatcher-mount-eq5/p,16081

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turboscrew said:

Also, I'm not that convinced that alt-az is so much easier. You don't really have to polar align it that well, if you are only doing visual. With rough alignment eq mount probably works a bit netter than alt-az.

I agree on the polar alignment question - when it has been set up and approximately aligned once then it's quite quick and easy to just put the mount in the same approximate place and orientation in future sessions without having to use a polar scope for accurate alignment.  I know where the pole star is in relation to my tree line so I just point the N leg of the tripod in that direction, gives me 80-90% tracking accuracy almost every time which is fine for visual.

• Like 2

Hello guys, sorry for the lack of messages in the last few days! I read all your messages and I have to thank you for all the support :)

Meanwhile I took a decision and bought the Omegon. I talked again with some people in astroshop and they convinced me eheh In fact, it seems a nice telescope and I believe I got a nice deal. Also, astroshop is (maybe) the only store in portugal that sells telescopes and so in terms of support I think it can be useful. Anyway, thanks a lot for your feedback. I will post some pictures of the telescope when it arrives eheh

Cheers :)

• Like 2