Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Setting Up EQMOD to work with APT and PHD2

Stuf1978

Hi All :)

I'm currently using my HEQ5 Pro with the hand controller and guiding using PHD2 with images being captured on a dslr SD card using an intervalometer. I want to be able to dither the mount in order to try and combat some of the noise that is inherent with dslr astrophotography using APT and capture subs direct to the laptop. 

If possible I'm planning on setting up the mount to run via laptop with EQMOD. As far as I understand it I need to connect the mount to the laptop with an EQ DIR cable (which I have), guide camera to the laptop as it currently stands and retain the ST4 cable if I'm planning on using PHD2. DSLR also needs connecting to the laptop. I then need to download:

ASCOM Platform and associated EQMOD driver

APT

The various guides I've read that I also mention connecting to stellarium with the Stellarium Scope download. Is this strictly needed or can you just choose your intended target with EQMOD/APT?

I'm also assuming that there is the usual star alignment process covered in EQMOD after polar alignment?

Apologies for the question as it has probably been asked a million times before but If anyone can point me in the direction of a guide to get everything up and running that would be great :)

Thanks,

Stu

I never used Stellarium / Stellariumscope preferring Cartes du Ciel, as I found it had a better interface.

You don't need the ST4 cable if you are controlling the mount with EQMOD as you can use pulse guiding.

• Like 1

Just now, DaveS said:

I never used Stellarium / Stellariumscope preferring Cartes du Ciel, as I found it had a better interface.

You don't need the ST4 cable if you are controlling the mount with EQMOD as you can use pulse guiding.

Sorry, probably wasn't being that clear. Do you actually need to use Planetarium software at all as it just seems to be adding an extra level of complexity?

So I can guide through EQMOD and don't need PHD2?

4 minutes ago, Stuf1978 said:

Sorry, probably wasn't being that clear. Do you actually need to use Planetarium software at all as it just seems to be adding an extra level of complexity?

So I can guide through EQMOD and don't need PHD2?

You would guide through PHD2 with Pulse Guiding. 

I don't think that you'd have to use Planetarium software if plate solving, you could simply slew the mount anywhere, take a photo, plate solve, and use APT and Pointcraft to select your desired DSO. I prefer to use Stellarium though.

Pretty much everything you've asked is covered in two of my videos... 

How to control your Mount with Stellarium and EQMOD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYTD7RuF3x8

How to use Plate Solving with APT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpYXoYEKFpA

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, smr said:

You would guide through PHD2 with Pulse Guiding. 

I don't think that you'd have to use Planetarium software if plate solving, you could simply slew the mount anywhere, take a photo, plate solve, and use APT and Pointcraft to select your desired DSO. I prefer to use Stellarium though.

Pretty much everything you've asked is covered in two of my videos... 

How to control your Mount with Stellarium and EQMOD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYTD7RuF3x8

How to use Plate Solving with APT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpYXoYEKFpA

Brilliant thank you, I'll check those out later 👍

• Like 1

One other thing I wasn't initially aware of with APT is; if you intent to use plate solving then you'll also need to download software called All Sky Plate Solver, along with the relevant star catalogues for the scopes you have.

There are links to the downloads in the settings on the Plate Solver button in APT. ;)

8 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

One other thing I wasn't initially aware of with APT is; if you intent to use plate solving then you'll also need to download software called All Sky Plate Solver, along with the relevant star catalogues for the scopes you have.

There are links to the downloads in the settings on the Plate Solver button in APT. ;)

Yeah just watch smr's videos linked above and it takes you through that 😁

All looks pretty straightforward so far. How do I go about setting up guiding and then image capture/dithering in APT? 

You can set APT to dither within the program.

Under the Gear tab, click on the Guide (D) button and the dither settings are in there.

APT then talks to PHD2 between exposures and instructs it to perform the dither.

One thing with the plate solving that wasn't mentioned in smr's video is to select the scope focal length, as well as the camera sensor & pixel size, when download the catalogues.  Especially if you're using more than one scope. ;) 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

Under the Gear tab, click on the Guide (D) button and the dither settings are in there.

APT then talks to PHD2 between exposures and instructs it to perform the dither.

One thing with the plate solving that wasn't mentioned in smr's video is to select the scope focal length, as well as the camera sensor & pixel size, when download the catalogues.  Especially if you're using more than one scope. ;) 

Cool sounds pretty simple (although watch for another thread titled I can't get EQMOD to work 😂).

Guessing with the plate solving you'll be able to save different different scope configurations as I'm using a variety of camera lenses along with my main scope? 

1 hour ago, Budgie1 said:

I mention that about 10m40s into the video when downloading the indexes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smr said:

I mention that about 10m40s into the video when downloading the indexes.

Sorry mate, I could only see the details about the camera sensor & pixel size. It's not a criticism of the video, I used your videos when I was setting up and they are really helpful and well put together. 👍

The setting is right above the camera sensor details, so it's quite obvious, but you need to run it for each focal length of scope/lens you're likely to use with the same camera settings as it chooses different lists each time.

I my case I ran it for my Celestron 102 at 500mm, SW Evostar 100ED at 900mm and again for the Evostar with the reducer/flattener attached making it 765mm.

• Like 1

There is an option in apt to use astap you may we’ll find that option more reliable and quicker than ps2 if you get any issues , you don’t need to have a planetarium software but handy to see what’s about, I rarely do just use pointcraft /objects and use go to ++ its that accurate using platesolving .

• Thanks 1

OK first problem 🤣

I've connected to the mount and can control it in EQMOD. Now trying to set up stellarium, however I don't have the telescope controlled by ASCOM option when I'm trying to add it via the plug-ins menu. These are the only options I have:

EDIT: Fresh install of stellarium sorted this out 

20200908_114333.jpg

Edited by Stuf1978

7 hours ago, smr said:

Glad the videos helped 

Thanks, yes they did. Managed to get it all up and running last night eventually and even acquired a little bit of data to have a play with (haven't processed it yet). There was few little teething problems with the mount slewing miles away from the intended area during initial alignment and my camera losing connection with APT a couple of times. Hopefully the routine will become quick and easy with a little practice :)