SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What refractor to get

47 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Focusers?

That’s the best part of the Bresser 102 / 1000 frac I linked to. A proper high quality CNC rack and pinion focuser with the option to add the dual speed knob. There is a lesson here for Skywatcher. Time to notice what the competition is doing and to put a good focuser on even a budget scope. 

John I should of said on my Meade I apologise I was reading the AR5 and AR6 my Meade is nearly exactly like a AR5. I have told Neil H the Bresser is the best one especially with that focuser.

Edited by wookie1965

While a 1.25” likethis would be good.

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/revelation-quartz-dielectric-diagonal-1.25.html#SID=566

The two inch version would of course allow using two inch eyepieces.

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/revelation-quartz-dielectric-diagonal-sct.html#SID=566

Revelation drags are very good buys for a quality diagonal.

EDIT:

Everyone seems to be out of stock of the Revelation 1.25” so this ia a good alternative.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/stellamira-1-25-90-di-electric-diagonal.html

Edited by johninderby

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Unfortunately the Skywatcher diagonal isn’t the greatest, not terrible but there are betterchoicrs out there. Worth about 50 quid posted. The Revelation is a better quality one.

Oh yes the revelation is far superior I have said you dont need one straight away you can use the scope with the one on and keep a look out on the second hand market for a good one to come up with a decent price.

As a slightly alternative point of view, I've owned a couple of the GSO / Revelation diagonals and the Skywatcher ones and the William Optics ones and found their performance pretty much the same. I currently have one of the 1.25" Skywatcher 1.25" dielectrics and have compared it directly with a Tele Vue Everbright 1.25" and my Baader T2 Zeiss prism in my Tak refractor and found the Skywatcher performed quite nicely. I paid £35 delivered for it so I'm quite happy with it.

Just another "data point" of course :grin:

• Like 2

I too have found the SW 1.25” dielectric to be very good but the 2” not as good. Saw a comparison test and apparently the mirror in the two inch isn’t as smooth as it could be with a bit less contrast. I did try one and did find it not as good as a WO or Revelation.

Did see one of the SW 2” go for £39.00 posted recently and at that price would consider it.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

The eBay seller ia asking nearly full retail price for buy it now. Only 15 quid less than buying from Harrison Telescopes incl delivery.

Depends what price it is bid up to. 🤔

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/bresser-messier-ar-127l-1200-hex-focus-optical-tube-assembly-4827120.html#SID=1683

Edited by johninderby

24 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

I noticed this one on the bay today
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bresser-messier-telescope-AR127L-1200mm/333714596134?hash=item4db2f0a126:g:bW8AAOSwMYRfV3O3

Not sure how it'd balance compared to the F15 John pictured but in case it's of interest...

I used to own one of those. An earlier version with a different colour scheme. It was a very good scope I felt. Minimal CA, well corrected and really gave a "big refractor" feel. They are long scopes that need a sturdy mount but the HEQ5 that Neil has would handle it well enough.

That one is over priced though, as has been said.

Guys i am still worried its going to hit the tripod legs the VX8L  is 1200mm and i cant look over head as it gets stuck on a leg  

Can the besser 5.9 102s be used for visual its short so wont hit the legs or do you think the 102L 100mm as its thinner will miss the legs 

Sorry for the stupid question 

CA (chromatic aberation) or false colur becomes more of a problem the shorter the focal length with a achromat which is more important for lunar / planetary observing as you will be using higher magnifications.  Not such a problem with DSOs at lower magnification.